At Memorial Sloan-Kettering, we are dedicated to helping kidney cancer survivors live their lives to the fullest after treatment. We offer comprehensive follow-up care for people who have been treated here as part of our institution-wide Survivorship Initiative.
Your follow-up care is provided by nurse practitioners who are specialists in the care of kidney cancer survivors. In addition to monitoring for signs of cancer recurrence, we focus on identifying, preventing, and controlling any long-term and late effects associated with cancer and its treatment.
A visit with the nurse practitioner includes the following:
- Review of your recent medical history and a physical examination
- Assessment to detect recurrence of cancer
- Identification and management of the effects of cancer and its treatment
- Screening referrals for other cancers
- Health promotion recommendations related to nutrition, exercise, and smoking cessation
- Treatment summary and follow-up care plan
- Consultation with your Memorial Sloan-Kettering physician as needed
In addition to working closely with your treatment team, the nurse practitioner provides a treatment summary and survivorship care plan to you, your primary care doctor, and other medical providers. Your physicians can then incorporate this information into your overall medical plan.
After each visit, the nurse practitioner will continue to update your other medical providers.
Your Follow-Up Care Team
Michelle Mallamud, NP
I am a nurse practitioner with special training in kidney cancer survivorship issues. I graduated from Columbia University’s nurse practitioner program.
Mary Schoen, NP
I am a nurse practitioner with special training in kidney cancer survivorship issues. I graduated from New York University's nurse practitioner program and have worked at Memorial Sloan-Kettering since 1999.