Log in »

Diatrizoate Meglumine and Diatrizoate Sodium (dye a tri ZOE ate MEG loo meen & dye a tri ZOE ate SOW dee um)

Pediatric Medication

Brand Names: U.S.

Gastrografin®; MD-76®R; MD-Gastroview®

What is this drug used for?

  • It is used before an x-ray or an alike test.

What do I need to tell the doctor BEFORE my child takes this drug?

All products:

  • If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
  • If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.

Oral:

  • If your child has a health problem that connects the windpipe (trachea) to the swallowing tube (esophagus) called esophagotracheal fistula.

Shot:

  • If your child is having a certain spine x-ray (myelography).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this drug.
Tell the doctor and pharmacist about all of your child’s drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for your child to take this drug with all of their drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug your child takes without checking with the doctor.

What are some things I need to know or do while my child takes this drug?

All products:

  • Tell dentists, surgeons, and other doctors that your child is using this drug.
  • Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your child’s doctor.
  • Your child’s blood work may need to be checked. Talk with the doctor.
  • This drug may affect certain lab tests. Be sure the doctor and lab workers know your child takes this drug.
  • Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.

If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:

  • Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.

Shot:

  • Very bad nerve problems like long-lasting paralysis have happened when contrast has been given into blood vessels in the spinal cord. Talk with the doctor.
  • Seizures and death have happened when contrast has been given to people with bleeding in the brain. Talk with the doctor.
  • Very bad kidney problems and sometimes death have happened when contrast has been given to people with multiple myeloma. Talk with the doctor.

What are some side effects that I need to call my child’s doctor about right away?

WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your child’s doctor or get medical help right away if your child has any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:

All products:

  • Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • A fast heartbeat.
  • A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
  • Very bad dizziness or passing out.

Shot:

  • Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in the amount of urine passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
  • Seizures.
  • Very bad headache.
  • Change in thinking clearly and with logic.
  • Chest pain or pressure.
  • Blue or gray skin color.
  • Pain where the shot was given.

What are some other side effects of this drug?

All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your child’s doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother your child or do not go away:

All products:

  • Upset stomach or throwing up.

Shot:

  • Flushing.
  • Feeling of warmth.

All other liquid products:

  • Belly cramps.
  • Heartburn.
  • Dizziness.
  • Headache.
  • Loose stools (diarrhea).

Rectal:

  • Rectal irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your child’s doctor. Call your child’s doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to your national health agency.

How is this drug best given?

Give this drug as ordered by your child’s doctor. Read and follow the dosing on the label closely.

All products:

  • Follow how to give this drug as you have been told by your child’s doctor.
  • Have your child drink lots of noncaffeine liquids before, during, and after using this drug unless told to drink less liquid by the child’s doctor.

Shot:

  • It is given as a shot.
  • Other drugs may be given before this drug to help avoid side effects.

Liquid:

  • It may be given by mouth or given rectally.

What do I do if my child misses a dose?

  • Call your child’s doctor to find out what to do.

How do I store and/or throw out this drug?

  • This drug will be given to your child in a hospital or doctor’s office. You will not store it at home.

General drug facts

  • If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
  • Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
  • Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
  • Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
  • Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
  • Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
  • If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.

Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer

This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.

Copyright

All content copyright © 1978-2014 Lexi-Comp Inc. or its respective owners. All Rights Reserved.