This information explains how to care for yourself after your cystoscopy.
What to Expect After Your Procedure
- You may experience burning when you urinate for 2 to 3 days. You may also see a small amount of blood in your urine, which will make it look pink. If you had a small tumor dissolved by fulguration, you may also see small pieces of tissue in your urine for a few days.
- You can resume your usual activities.
- When there is no blood in your urine, you can resume sexual activity.
- If you had a biopsy, drink 8 glasses of water for the next few days until there is no blood in your urine. The liquids will help flush your bladder. This is important to help minimize the amount of bleeding you may have. Limit your intake of fluids after 8:00 pm to avoid trips to the bathroom during the night.
- Your urine cytology results will be available in 3 to 4 days. This test will tell us if there are cancer cells in your urine.
- If you had a biopsy done, the results will be available within 1 week.
Call Your Doctor or Nurse if You Have:
- Bright red blood or blood clots in your urine
- Persistent bleeding (pink urine) for more than 3 days
- Persistent burning when urinating, lasting more than 3 days
- A temperature of 101° F (38.3° C) or higher
- Shaking chills
- Lower back pain
- An inability to urinate
- Any other problems or concerns