This information describes the process you will
follow for your retrograde semen analysis
is a condition
in which semen passes into the bladder
instead of out through the penis
during ejaculation. This can happen if the nerves and muscles that control ejaculation are damaged or removed.
Despite this damage, it may be possible for you to have a child using your own sperm
, by removing sperm from your urine
. To see if you are producing sperm, a sample of mixed semen and urine must be analyzed by a sperm bank. This is called a retrograde semen analysis.
Preparing for Your Collection
- Select a sperm bank and make an appointment for the analysis. Tell them that you have retrograde ejaculation so they can tell you if they have any special instructions for you to follow before you come.
- Do not have sexual activity for 2 to 5 days before the appointment. This includes activity with a partner or self-stimulation (masturbation).
- For 12 hours before the appointment, do not drink more liquids than you normally would. If your urine is very watery, it is harder to extract the sperm.
Instructions for Your Collection
You will collect your semen and urine at the sperm bank. If the sperm bank does not give you specific instructions on how to do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the bathroom and urinate to empty your bladder.
- You will be given 2 cups for collection, labeled #1 and #2.
- You will be brought to a private room. You will stimulate yourself in order to ejaculate.
You can stimulate yourself or your partner can stimulate you.
Keep your hands clean and dry while you are stimulating yourself. Do not use saliva or lubricants to stimulate yourself. These will destroy the sperm.
- While you are ejaculating, hold collection cup #1 at the tip of your penis and collect the semen. Give this cup to the staff.
- Return to the waiting area for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not drink any liquids during this time.
- Go to the bathroom with collection cup #2. Urinate into the cup. Give this cup to the staff.
Call your doctor 2 days after the collection to get the result of your semen analysis.