This information explains how to quickly address low blood sugar.
If your blood sugar is below 70, follow the rule of 15/15:
- Take 15 grams of sugar
- Wait 15 minutes, then retest your blood sugar
Follow the rule of 15/15 only if you are awake and alert. If you faint or become unconscious, someone must call 911 for an ambulance. Please tell your family and friends about low blood sugar and what to do if you feel faint.
Check your blood sugar if you're not feeling well. Signs of low blood sugar include:
- Feeling faint
- Problems seeing
- A headache
- Too much sweating
- A fast, forceful heartbeat
Take 15 Grams of Sugar
Do not eat chocolate or cookies when your blood sugar is below 70. Choose one of these instead:
- Drink 4 ounces of orange juice or regular soda
- Eat 4 large marshmallows
- Drink 8 ounces of milk
- Chew 6 to 8 Life Savers® (not mints)
- Chew 3 to 4 large glucose tabs
Wait 15 Minutes Then Retest Your Blood Sugar
- If your blood sugar is less than 70, take another 15 grams of sugar. Retest 15 minutes later. Keep doing this until your blood sugar rises to 70 or more.
- When your blood sugar rises to 70 or more, eat half of a sandwich and drink 4 ounces of milk. If you wish, you can have your scheduled meal instead.
- Call your healthcare provider when you feel better. Your insulin or medication may need to be changed.
- Ask yourself:
- Did I have too little food?
- Did I have too much insulin?
- Did I take my diabetes medication without eating?
To help prevent low blood sugar, avoid skipping meals. If you have any questions, speak with your healthcare provider.