This information provides instructions for ordering supplies for penile injection therapy and performing injections.
- Your nurse practitioner will order your supplies for you from a special type of pharmacy called a compounding pharmacy. Your supplies will include:
- 1 vial (500 units) of ______________________ medication
- 30 syringes (29 gauge, ½ inch)
- 24 Pseudoephedrine HCl (Sudafed®) 30 mg tablets
- If your supplies were ordered through Pharmagen, a member of their staff will call you to confirm your payment method and shipping address.
- They accept money orders and credit cards for payment.
- They will only ship to an address in the United States.
- They ship Monday through Thursday, with the last order leaving at 4:00 pm on Thursday.
- If you need to contact Pharmagen, you can reach them at (800) 798-7279 or (203) 359-6323.
- If your supplies were ordered through another pharmacy, write in the information here for your reference. ____________________________________
- You will also need to purchase alcohol pads your local pharmacy.
- The vial of medication must be kept in the refrigerator.
- Please contact our office at (646) 422-4359 for refills when your supplies run low. We will order more supplies for you.
Giving Yourself the First Injection and Recording Your Response
- Refer to the Penile Injection Therapy resource for instructions on how to inject the medication.
- You will inject _____________________ units for your first injection while you're at home. Record information about your response.
My erection was a ____________________ on a scale of 0 to 10. Use the following erection scale:
My erection lasted ______________ minutes/hours until it became a 5 on the erection scale.
- You must call your nurse practitioner to tell him or her your response to the first injection. This will help us determine if your dose needs to be increased, decreased, or kept the same. You can reach your nurse practitioner at (646) 422-4359.
- Do not give yourself a second injection until you have reported the result of the first one.
- Do not change your dose without speaking to your doctor or nurse practitioner. Changing your dose could result in serious complications.
- Do not give yourself a second injection on the same day if the first one does not work. You must wait 24 hours.
- Do not take any erectile medications by mouth (orally) 18 hours before or after your injection. This includes:
- Sildenafil (Viagra®)
- Vardenafil (Levitra®)
- Tadalafil (Cialis®) We recommend you do not take tadalafil (Cialis®) while you're using injection therapy.
- An erection that lasts longer than 2 hours can cause permanent damage. If your injection is taken late at night, you will need to check to make sure your erection goes down before you fall asleep. You may want to set your alarm clock in case you fall asleep. Set your alarm clock for 2 hours after the injection.
- Follow the instructions in the Priapism resource if your erection lasts longer than 2 hours.
- Follow the instructions in the How to Store and Dispose Your Home Medical Sharps resource to discard your needles correctly.
- It may take 6 to 12 injections to find the right dose for an erection firm enough to have sex.
- You must come for an office visit at least once a year if you are using injection therapy.