You have a right to request an accounting of disclosures which identifies certain other persons or organizations to whom we have disclosed your health information in accordance with applicable law and the protections afforded in the Notice of Privacy Practices. An accounting of disclosures does not describe the ways that your health information has been shared within and between the hospital and the facilities listed at the beginning of this notice, as long as all other protections described in the Notice of Privacy Practices have been followed (such as obtaining the required approvals before sharing your health information with our doctors for research purposes).
An accounting of disclosures also does not include information about the following disclosures:
- Disclosures we made to you or your personal representative
- Disclosures we made pursuant to your written authorization
- Disclosures we made for treatment, payment or business operations
- Disclosures made from the Patient Directory
- Disclosures made to your friends and family involved in your care or payment for your care
- Disclosures that were incidental to permissible uses and disclosures of your health information (for example, when information is overheard by another patient passing by)
- Disclosures for purposes of research, public health or our business operations of limited portions of your health information that do not directly identify you
- Disclosures made to federal officials for national security and intelligence activities
- Disclosures about inmates to correctional institutions or law enforcement officers
- Disclosures made before April 14, 2003
To request an accounting of disclosures, please write to the Privacy Office.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
633 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017
Your request must state a time period within the past six years for the disclosures you want us to include. You have a right to receive one accounting within every 12-month period for free. However, we may charge you for the cost of providing any additional accounting in that same 12-month period. We will always notify you of any cost involved so that you may choose to withdraw or modify your request before any costs are incurred.
Ordinarily we will respond to your request for an accounting within 60 days. If we need additional time to prepare the accounting you have requested, we will notify you in writing about the reason for the delay and the date when you can expect to receive the accounting. In rare cases, we may have to delay providing you with the accounting without notifying you because a law enforcement official or government agency has asked us to do so.