International students who will be in their final 12 months at the time of their proposed Memorial Sloan Kettering elective(s) may apply to our program. Before submitting your application, you must read our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Required Application Materials
- Application for Final-Year International Medical Students. We are now accepting applications for the 2014–2015 academic year.
- Non-refundable 100 USD application fee: International students must submit a check in US dollars (drawn on a US bank), a US travelers cheque, or an international money order made payable to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. We do not accept wire transfers or credit card payments.
- Letter of intent/motivation: Please explain your interest in oncology and your reason(s) for choosing the electives listed on your application. Your letter will help us understand your goals and academic preparedness, as demonstrated by your previous experiences.
- Dean’s letter: Please submit on your school’s letterhead. The letter must state:
- that you are in your final year (last 12 months)
- your expected date of graduation
- that you are in good standing
- that you are authorized to participate in an elective(s) at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- the dates during which you may pursue elective training at Memorial Sloan Kettering
- that you will receive academic credit for your elective(s)
- if English is not your native language, that you have sufficient proficiency in English, including clinical terminology, to benefit from this program
- if you are not in your last 12 months of medical school but will be at the time of your proposed elective(s), include when you will enter your final 12 months.
- Original signed copy of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Elective Program Medical Student Elective Program Policies.
- Letter of recommendation: This letter should be from a faculty member (other than your Dean) who can comment on both your academic performance and clinical skills.
- Curriculum vitae: Your CV must contain the following:
- Education: medical (expected date of degree), graduate, and undergraduate school (dates and degrees conferred)
- Academic honors and awards
- Clinical education: include specific responsibilities and skills learned on clerkships and electives to date
- Research experience
- Employment: include work related to your career path
- Language skills (proficiency in both conversational and medical English is mandatory)
- Transcript requirements: An English translation of your most recent academic transcript is required. Your transcript must list your grades for all courses taken during medical school. If your school does not issue letter grades, a separate Dean’s letter must confirm this and explain the grading scale used. Note: The Memorial Sloan Kettering Medical Student Elective Program is highly competitive. Applicants are required to demonstrate strong academic credentials (minimum 3.0 on a 4.0 grade point average scale or B average).
- USMLE Step 1 test score report (both pages) is required for all applicants from international and offshore medical schools. The only equivalent test scores that will be considered are those issued by German medical schools.
If accepted, you must submit the following documents. If we do not receive these documents at least four weeks in advance of your start, we will cancel your elective(s):
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center health forms. Health documents submitted on other forms will not be accepted.
- Proof of health insurance for the period of the elective displaying the dates of coverage and benefits.
- Proof of Malpractice Insurance coverage for your entire elective. Coverage must be provided by a US agent offering medical student malpractice insurance. Your proof of coverage must contain the company’s location and the terms of your policy, dates of coverage, amounts per incident, and aggregate in US dollars.
- All approved students will need to apply for a Letter of Eligibility (LOE) from the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Students must submit a check for 30 USD to the NYSED with their LOE application (checks only—no money order, cash, credit card payments, or travelers cheques). Students who do not receive an LOE prior to their start will not be allowed to begin their elective.
- All approved students will need to submit proof of New York State approved infection control training. Instructions will be included in your acceptance e-mail.
Send all items to the attention of the Medical Student Coordinator at:
Graduate Medical Education, Box 187
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065
If you have further questions, please refer to the FAQ section below: