Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center’s Elective Program is available to international students who will be in their final year of medical school (last 12 months) at the time they are participating in the electives. Before submitting your application, you must read our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Required Application Materials
- Application for Final-Year International Medical Students. Applications for the 2013-2014 academic year are now being accepted.
- 100 USD Application Fee: International students must submit either a check in US dollars (drawn on a US bank), signed US travelers cheques, or an international money order made payable to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. Wire transfers and credit card payments are not accepted.
- Letter of Intent/Motivation: This letter should explain your interest in oncology and your reason(s) for choosing the electives listed on your application. Please note this letter may be reviewed by the elective sponsor and used to determine interest in participation and academic preparedness.
- Updated Dean’s Letter Requirements: Please submit a letter from you school’s Dean. Your dean's letter must be an original copy, printed on medical school letterhead. No faxed, scanned, or PDF copies will be accepted. The letter must state that:
- you are in your final year (last 12 months)
- you are in good standing
- you are authorized to participate in an elective at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York
- you are pursuing the elective for academic credit
- your expected date of graduation
- the dates for which you are authorized to pursue elective training at Memorial Sloan-Kettering
- if English is not your native language, you have sufficient proficiency in English, including clinical terminology, to benefit from this program
- If you are not yet in your last 12 months of medical school, but will be at the time of the requested elective(s), the letter must state when you will enter your final 12 months. Note: If your letter does not state this explicitly, your application materials will be considered incomplete and returned to you without review.
- Original signed copy of Memorial Sl0an-Kettering Cancer Center Elective Program Medical Student Elective Program Policies
- Letter of Recommendation (in addition to the Dean's letter): This letter should be from a faculty member who can comment on your academic performance and clinical skills.
- Curriculum vitae: Your CV must contain the following information:
- Education: medical school (expected date of degree), graduate and undergraduate school (degrees conferred)
- Academic honors and awards
- Clinical education (i.e. clerkships, clinical experiences, etc.): include specific responsibilities, skills learned, etc
- Research Experience
- Employment: Include work related to your career path
- Language skills: Proficiency in both conversational and medical English is mandatory
- Updated Transcript Requirements: An english translation of your most recent academic transcript. Your transcript must list your grades for all classes taken during medical school. If your school does not issue a transcript with letter grades, a separate dean’s letter must confirm this and explain the grading scale used. Note: The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Medical Student Elective Program is highly competitive. Applicants are required to demonstrate strong academic credentials (minimum 3.0 on a 4.0 grade point average scale or B average).
- USMLE Step 1 test score report (both pages) is required from all applicants from international and off-shore medical schools. The only equivalent test scores that will be considered are those issued by German medical schools.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Health Forms: Health documents submitted on other forms will not be accepted.
- Students are required to demonstrate serologic immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and hepatitis B - all titers must be completed and listed on the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center health forms
- Students must also provide documentation of a tetanus (Td) or Tetanus/pertussis (Tdap) booster in the last 10 years - skin testing for tuberculosis is required
- Students are required to provide documentation of a physical exam within 12 months of their expected start and be free of communicable illness
Upon acceptance, you will be required to submit:
- Proof of health insurance for the period of the elective. Travel health insurance purchased through a local travel agent (displaying the dates of coverage and benefits) in the student’s home country is acceptable proof.
- Proof of Malpractice Insurance coverage for your entire elective. Coverage must be provided by a US agent offering medical student malpractice insurance. Your proof of coverage must contain the company’s location and the terms of your policy (dates of coverage, amounts per incident and aggregate in US dollars).
- All approved students will need to apply for a Letter of Eligibility (LOE) from the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Students must submit a check for 30 USD (paper check only: no money order, no cash, no credit card payment, no traveler cheques) to the NYSED with their LOE application. Students who do not receive their LOE prior to their start will not be allowed to begin their elective.
Send all items to the attention of the Medical Student Coordinator at:
Graduate Medical Education, Box 187
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065
If you have further questions, please refer to the FAQ section below: