Funded since 1977 by the National Cancer Institute, this eight-week research program is offered to medical students who have a career interest as a physician-scientist in the field of oncology and/or related biomedical sciences. This program grants students who have completed their first- or second-year at a US medical school accredited by the LCME (Liaison Committee on Medical Education) or COCA (Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation) the opportunity to conduct basic laboratory or clinical research mentored by Memorial Sloan Kettering faculty. Additional support is provided by the Memorial Sloan Kettering Office of Diversity Programs in Clinical Care, Research, and Training, the Memorial Sloan Kettering Brain Tumor Center, and the Office of Faculty Development. Students in the program will:
- Gain clinical or laboratory research experience mentored by Memorial Sloan Kettering faculty
- Interact with Memorial Sloan Kettering physicians, PhD investigators, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students
- Attend a weekly education lecture series presented by world-renowned Memorial Sloan Kettering faculty
- Attend additional professional development workshops, institutional lectures, departmental conferences, and lab meetings
- Present their summer research to fellowship peers and Memorial Sloan Kettering faculty during the final week of the program
Areas of Research
Summer research projects reflect a broad-based perspective on the entire research cycle from discovery to development to delivery of care. This includes translational research that moves laboratory findings to the bedside and, conversely, clinical insights into the laboratory. Projects include laboratory bench research, clinical research, and biostatistics and epidemiology.
2014 Program Dates
June 16 – August 8 or June 23 - August 15
Start and end dates inclusive.
Subject to sponsor approval, students may participate in either of the eight-week program blocks. Applicants should consider final exam schedules, 2nd or 3rd year start dates, and any anticipated personal commitments during program dates before submitting an application. Uninterrupted participation is required.
Application and Notification Dates
The 2014 Summer Fellowship Program application is now available until January 13, 2014 (5 PM EST). Decision notification emails will be sent by March 14, 2014.
Application and projects available: December 16, 2013, at 9:00 AM EST
All application materials must be received by: January 13, 2014, at 5:00 PM EST
1. Complete the online application. 2. Submit a letter of good standing to email@example.com. This letter must be from your Dean’s or Registrar’s office and state that you are a first- or second-year student in good academic standing and specify if any courses are under remediation or pending remediation. Students who will need to repeat a course during the summer or are in the process of repeating a course are not eligible to participate.
Stipend & Housing
Participants receive a stipend of $5,800 for eight weeks of uninterrupted participation in the program, start and end dates inclusive. Memorial Sloan Kettering does not provide housing to participants. A list of housing resources will be provided to accepted students. All housing and transportation expenses are the participant’s responsibility.