SK-JHRCC-12 is a human clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC) cell line that displays epithelial morphology and grows in adherent culture. This cell line forms big colonies when plated in soft agar and forms colonies with extensive branching when grown in Matrigel 3D culture. The SK-JHRCC-12 cells are a useful preclinical model to study renal cancer. They form tumors when inoculated subcutaneously in immunocompromised NSG mice. SK-JHRCC-12 cells are insensitive to Sunitinib (oral, small molecule, multi-targeted receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, approved for the treatment of renal cell carcinoma) both in vitro (cell culture) and in vivo (xenograft mouse models). Histological analysis shows that SK-JHRCC-12 xenografts exhibit the same sarcomatoid feature as the primary tumor they were derived from. Immunohistochemistry analysis shows that JHRCC12 xenograft tumors are positive for PAX8 and CAIX expression. The SK-JHRCC-12 cells have mutations in von Hippel-Lindau (VHL), PBRM1, and SETD2 and express wildtype KDM5C, PTEN, mTOR, and PIK3CA.
This cell line was established in 2011 from a metastatic site (bone) in a 47-year-old Caucasian male with clear cell carcinoma of the kidney and was refractory to treatment with Sunitinib.
- James J. Hsieh, MD, PhD, Laboratory Head, Memorial Hospital Research Laboratories, Human Oncology & Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Emily H. Cheng, MD, PhD, Laboratory Head, Memorial Hospital Research Laboratories, Human Oncology & Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Yiyu Dong, PhD, Research Associate, Hsieh Laboratory, Memorial Hospital Research Laboratories, Human Oncology & Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering
This cell line may be licensed nonexclusively for research or commercial purposes.
- For licensing requests: Alexandra Buga, MBA, Business Development Analyst, Office of Technology Development, MSK, 646-888-1078, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For non-licensing requests from academic-research institutions: Frances Weis-Garcia, PhD, Associate Laboratory Member/Head, Antibody & Bioresource Core Facility, MSK, 646-888-2354, email@example.com