You have a right to request an “accounting of disclosures” which identifies certain disclosures of your health information made within the six years prior to your request. An accounting of disclosures does not include all disclosures of your health information outside of MSKCC. Notably, an accounting of disclosures does not include information about the following disclosures:
- Disclosures we made to you or your personal representative;
- Disclosures we made pursuant to your written authorization;
- Disclosures we made for treatment, payment or business operations;
- Disclosures made from the patient directory;
- Disclosures made to friends and family involved in your care or payment for your care;
- Disclosures that were incidental to permissible uses and disclosures of your health information (for example, when information is overheard by another patient passing by);
- Disclosures for purposes of research, public health or our business operations of limited portions of your health information that do not directly identify you;
- Disclosures made to federal officials for national security and intelligence activities;
- Disclosures about inmates to correctional institutions or law enforcement officers;
- Disclosures made more than six years prior to your request.
To request an accounting of disclosures, please contact the Privacy Office at 646-227-2056 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Your request must state a time period within the past six years for the disclosures you want us to include. You have a right to receive one accounting within every 12 month period for free. We may charge you for the cost of providing any additional accounting in that same 12 month period. We will always notify you of any cost involved so that you may choose to withdraw or modify your request before any costs are incurred. We will respond to your request in a timely manner, and as required by law.