- When and where should I apply?
- Can I apply for more than one summer program?
- Is there a deadline for submission of applications?
- Can you provide any advice on how to write a good application?
- Can I update my application from last year?
- I have registered, but now can’t log in, can you help?
- I forgot my password, how can I reset it?
- I’m entering past coursework and grades, but the application does not let me proceed to the next step and save the coursework.
- I’m having issues saving my applications or the application system is running slow, how do I fix this?
- Should I list all the courses and grades that I have completed or only relevant courses?
- Is an official transcript necessary for my application?
- What are the requirements for the personal statement?
- In addition to the application form, personal statement and unofficial transcript, what other documents do I need to submit?
- Can I submit more than the required two letters of recommendation?
- Can I change my recommender(s) after I have submitted my application?
- If I change a recommender, will my original recommender be notified?
- What should I do if my recommenders have not received a request for a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
- Who ensures that letters of recommendation are received?
- Is there a deadline for receipt of my recommendation letters?
- Can I submit my application before the letters of recommendation are received?
- After I submit the application, can I make changes to my application?
- How will I know if my application is complete?
- When can I expect to hear about the status of my application?
Any time after the application site becomes available in early November. You can apply directly at https://sam.mskcc.org/.Back to top
Yes, up to two summer programs at MSK will consider you for enrollment; admissions committees are separate, but the same office sees all applications.Back to top
Yes, the application deadline is February 1. The application portal closes by Feb 1 (11:59 p.m., EST). The Summer @ MSK (SAM) application system is available online from November through February 1.Back to top
You might wish to read “Three steps to landing an undergraduate research internship.” One of the writers is the director of 4 of MSK’s summer programs.Back to top
You will need to reapply and request new letters from your recommenders.Back to top
If you see “Application with this email address is not found”, it is likely that you are logging in with an email that is different from the one we have on record. If you have more than one email address, first please make sure you are logging in using the same address you used to register. Applicants with two accounts risk having application documents logged in two different places and risk the application not marked as complete. Email email@example.com for additional help.Back to top
Log into https://sam.mskcc.org/, click on sign in, and the click on “forgot your password” link to reset your password.Back to top
I’m entering past coursework and grades, but the application does not let me proceed to the next step and save the coursework.
Make sure to select the school’s name for each course you add in the application system in the drop-down menu in order to avoid this error.Back to top
I’m having issues saving my applications or the application system is running slow, how do I fix this?
Some of these issues can be solved by switching browsers (chrome, Firefox), clearing your browser cache and disabling your pop-up blockers. If you are still encountering issues, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.Back to top
Please list all of your completed courses with grades, as well as the courses that you plan to complete by the end of the academic year.Back to top
No, only those accepted into the internship will need to submit an official transcript after acceptance. You are, however, required to upload an unofficial transcript (s) directly into the application system. Please note, for every school you enter in the application, you must provide an unofficial transcript. If we see discrepancies between your unofficial and official transcripts, the program may rescind acceptance.Back to top
Your personal statement should not exceed 3,000 characters (including spaces). The personal statement should describe your undergraduate experience, academic and professional plans, and reasons for wishing to participate in the program, include anything else you consider important for a judgment of your abilities (including articles, theses, books, other published materials, patented inventions, academic honors, prizes, etc.). PLEASE make sure to address this particular program- those addressed to other internships or discussing potential labs at other institutions will leave the admissions committee cold.Back to top
In addition to the application form, personal statement and unofficial transcript, what other documents do I need to submit?
You will also need a (minimum) of two recommendations written by those who are familiar with your academic progress and credentials (names, department, email). After you enter your recommenders’ email addresses and save the section, the system will prompt an email to the recommender to submit the letter of recommendation directly to the application system. Please note recommendations from family members or friends are not appropriate.Back to top
Yes, the online application system will accept more than two recommendation letters. However, please note that if you list more than two letters of applications and we are missing one recommendation letter the system will mark your application as incomplete. It is important to follow up with all recommenders.Back to top
You can change a recommender only if you have not submitted your application. After the application has been submitted, you cannot make any changes. If you replace an existing recommender, please notify the recommender that you will no longer require a letter. If you have any issues, please contact us at email@example.com.Back to top
It is your responsibility to inform your original recommender that a letter will no longer be required.Back to top
What should I do if my recommenders have not received a request for a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
There are a few reasons that your recommender may not have received the system-generated email request for a letter of recommendation. If you did not submit your application, you should:
- Log on to the application system and check to ensure that the email address you have entered is accurate, then resend the request for a letter.
- Ask your recommender to check their SPAM or Junk folder.
If the email message is still not received after attempts listed above and you suspect there is a technical problem, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you submitted your application, please email us at email@example.com to investigate the issue.Back to top
It is your responsibility to ensure that we receive your letters of recommendation and your responsibility to inform your recommender. You should check to make sure your recommenders have received our email requesting a letter. If the recommender is having issues uploading the letter, please have them email the letters directly to us in PDF format at firstname.lastname@example.org.Back to top
All letters must be received by February 1.Back to top
Yes, we encourage you to submit your application as soon as you have completed it. You do not need to wait for your recommenders to submit their letters in order to submit your application.Back to top
No, after you have submitted an application, you cannot make any changes. If you have any issues or questions, please contact us at email@example.com.Back to top
You will receive an email confirming that your application is complete. NOTE: You must complete your application by Feb 1 (11:59 p.m., EST). Applications that are incomplete after the Feb 1 deadline will not receive further consideration.Back to top
Decision letters are emailed no later than by March 15th, everyone who applied will be informed via e-mail.Back to top