I am a plastic surgeon who specializes in reconstruction after cancer surgery. I have a strong interest in breast reconstruction and perform a wide range of techniques, including DIEP flaps and ‘direct to implant’ surgery. I am also involved in a number of advocacy, outreach, and education initiatives for breast cancer survivors.
My main research interest lies in assessing health-related quality of life among oncology patients. With grant support from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, I have developed a questionnaire, the BREAST-Q, which measures satisfaction and quality-of-life outcomes among breast reconstruction patients. This questionnaire examines body image and psychological, social, sexual, and physical function, as well as satisfaction with the process of care.
The BREAST-Q has been translated into 14 languages and widely adopted by other cancer centers as well as the National Health Service in Great Britain, which is using it in a national audit of mastectomy and reconstruction outcomes. (You can learn more about the BREAST-Q at www.BREAST-Q.org.)
I am also involved in research to measure patient expectations in breast reconstruction. This NIH-funded research is ultimately aimed at improving patient education and promoting shared medical decision making. At Memorial Sloan Kettering new breast reconstruction patients routinely complete our “Expectations” questionnaire, which helps our team better understand and anticipate patients’ needs. In 2007, I was awarded Clinical Research Recognition Award by the American Society of Plastic Surgery. Currently, I am Chair of the Clinical Trial Committee of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and lead several multicenter studies evaluating outcomes in plastic surgery.
- Clinical Expertise: Breast Reconstruction (with microvascular flaps, pedicled flaps, and implants); Head and Neck Cancer Reconstruction with Microvascular Tissue Transfer; Pelvic and Vaginal Reconstruction; Extremity Reconstruction; Pediatric Cancer Reconstruction
- Languages Spoken: English; French
- Education: MD, University of Calgary (Canada); MHS, The Johns Hopkins University
- Residencies: Dalhousie University (Canada); McGill University (Canada)
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Plastic Surgery
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.