I am a board-certified radiation oncologist who specializes in thoracic malignancies, including lung cancers, pleural mesotheliomas, and thymomas. I work closely with a multidisciplinary team of highly skilled thoracic surgeons and medical oncologists to determine the best treatment options for my patients. Together with our radiologists, medical physicists, and radiation therapists, I utilize modern radiation techniques including intensity-modulated (IMRT) and image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) to target thoracic malignancies while minimizing radiation dose to normal tissues.
My clinical research interests focus on optimizing the current technologies of IMRT and IGRT for the treatment of lung tumors. In addition, I am exploring new strategies for treating small cell lung cancers with radiation therapy. My translational research focuses on investigating the underlying biology and interaction of newer targeted agents with radiation therapy.
- Clinical Expertise: Thoracic Malignancies
- Languages Spoken: English; German
- Education: MD, Eberhard-Karls University ( Tuebingen, Germany)
- Residencies: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Radiation Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Andreas Rimner
- A Phase I Study of Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy for Inoperable Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- A Phase II Study of Nintedanib plus Prednisone to Treat Radiation Pneumonitis
- A Phase III Comparison of Thoracic Radiotherapy Regimens in Patients with Limited Small Cell Lung Cancer also Receiving Cisplatin and Etoposide
- A Study Assessing the Predictive Value of Tumor Hypoxia (Low Oxygen Supply) in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Calypso-Based Deep Inspiration Breath Hold Radiation Treatment for Lung Cancer
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Andreas Rimner
- A Phase I Study of Concurrent Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy for Patients with Inoperable Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma
- A Phase II Study Assessing PET/CT Scanning to Guide Radiation Treatment for Inoperable Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- A Phase III Study of Chemotherapy with Either Proton Therapy or Conventional Photon Radiation Therapy to Treat Inoperable Stage II-IIIB Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more