I am an internist and a hematologic oncologist. I have more than 40 years of experience caring for people with lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. I feel privileged to work with top-notch physicians, nurses, and administrative staff who are committed to putting our patients’ needs first.
Read more Read less
In my extensive research, I have looked at many types of lymphoma. These include HIV-associated lymphoma and T cell lymphoma. I have a special focus on Hodgkin lymphoma. I have led several national clinical trials aimed at developing newer and better treatments for these diseases. These studies were driven by a better understanding of the biology of lymphomas and of the short- and long-term toxicities of treatment.
Many types of lymphoma are often curable. Some can be successfully managed, like other chronic diseases that are not cancer. For all of these reasons, a portion of my research has focused on how we can better address survivorship and quality-of-life issues for people who are living with lymphoma.
When I first meet with patients, they may be overwhelmed with anxiety about their diagnosis and by the complexities of their disease. I make every effort to explain these complexities so that they will understand them. I spend whatever time is necessary to address all of their concerns. I also remind them that they have an outstanding team of experts who are devoted to all aspects of their care. Whether we decide on a standard treatment or a clinical trial, all of my patients can be assured that we make certain that they will receive the best care.
- Clinical Expertise: Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphomas; Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Medical College of Wisconsin (Marquette)
- Residencies: Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Fellowships: Beth Israel Hospital/Peter Bent Brigham Hospital/Childrens’ Hospital/Harvard Medical School; Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine; Hematology; Medical Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by David J. Straus
- A Pilot Study of AVD plus Brentuximab Vedotin to Treat Stage II-IV HIV-Associated Hodgkin Lymphoma
- AIDS Malignancy Consortium 101: A Pilot Study to Assess Adding Ibrutinib to Standard R-EPOCH Treatment for AIDS-Related Lymphomas
- Ascertainment of Families for Genetic Studies of Familial Lymphoproliferative Disorders
- Prospective Ascertainment for Late Effects Among Cancer Survivors
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more