I am a dual board-certified radiologist and nuclear medicine physician. I specialize in advanced metabolic imaging for people with breast cancer. I joined MSK in 2009.
Read more Read less
I am an PET/CT expert on the Breast Cancer Disease Management Team. As part of this comprehensive team, I work closely with oncologists, surgeons, and others to help provide the best care for people with breast cancer. I also design and execute groundbreaking research. This experience allows me to learn from and share my expertise with leaders in breast cancer surgery, internal medicine, pathology, and radiology.
I am the principal investigator on clinical trials for four novel PET imaging agents for people with breast cancer. My research has a particular focus on using targeted imaging to help guide targeted therapy. These trials are funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense, and the Susan G. Komen Foundation. My work has been featured in top-rated journals, including the Journal of Clinical Oncology, Clinical Cancer Research, Radiology, and the Journal of Nuclear Medicine. I serve on the editorial boards of Radiology, the Journal of Nuclear Medicine, and Clinical Nuclear Medicine and as a grant reviewer for the National Institutes of Health and the Susan G. Komen Foundation. I am on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance. I also serve on MSK’s Institutional Review Board to optimize patient safety in clinical trials.
I am actively involved in medical education. I have received teaching awards from both MSK and Weill Cornell Medical College. I am the founder and director of MSK’s annual Oncologic PET/CT Continuing Medical Education course. This three-day symposium teaches PET imaging to an international audience.
I have never been more proud to work anywhere than MSK. The tremendous innovation and teamwork makes it a pleasure to be part of providing the best care today to people with cancer and continuing to improve care for the future.
- Clinical Expertise: PET/CT; Nuclear Medicine; General Diagnostic Radiology, Including CT, MRI, Ultrasound, and X-Ray
- Awards and Honors: Fellow of the American Board of Nuclear Medicine; Department of Defense Breakthrough Award; Susan G. Komen Foundation Career Catalyst Award; RSNA Award for Excellence in Research; RadioGraphics Educational Design Award; MSK Excellence in Teaching Award; Radiology Editor’s Recognition Award; Clinical Nuclear Medicine Editor’s Award; NIH Medical Scientist Training Program
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, PhD in Cancer Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Residencies: Johns Hopkins Hospital; University of Southern California
- Fellowships: University of Southern California
- Board Certifications: Radiology; Nuclear Medicine
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Led by Gary A. Ulaner
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Gary A. Ulaner
- A Phase I Study of GDC-0927 in Postmenopausal Women with Locally Advanced or Metastatic Estrogen Receptor-Positive Breast Cancer
- A Phase I Study of GDC-9545 Alone or with Palbociclib and/or Hormonal Therapy to Treat Advanced or Metastatic ER-Positive, HER2-Negative Breast Cancer
- A Phase II Study Assessing DNA Repair Status as a Marker of Response to Therapy in Patients with Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more