I am a pediatric oncologist who specializes in the treatment of children and young adults with sarcomas and other solid tumors. My work has a special focus on desmoplastic small round cell tumor, with the goal of better understanding this rare and challenging tumor in order to offer more-effective treatment options for patients with this disease.
The aim of both my laboratory and clinical research is the development of new therapies for sarcomas that will target signaling pathways specific to each tumor type. With advances in molecular biology, we are learning a great deal about the specific genetic changes that occur to cause sarcomas. This information can be used to identify new therapeutic targets.
My interactions with children and young adults and my desire to help them get better are what drive me in my laboratory research. I enjoy working as part of a very specialized team of professionals with extraordinary experience in treating these cancers and in translating new laboratory findings to the clinic, where they may help patients. My hope is that I can see patients I have treated come back to visit me years later, healthy and well.
- Clinical Expertise: Pediatric Hematology/Oncology; Pediatric Sarcomas
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, New York Medical College
- Residencies: The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Board Certifications: Pediatrics; Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Heather Magnan
- A Phase II Study of Irinotecan and Temozolomide in Combination with Existing High-Dose Chemotherapy for Patients Newly Diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma
- A Pilot Trial of Irinotecan, Temozolomide, and Bevacizumab plus High-Dose Chemotherapy for Newly Diagnosed Patients with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumor
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Heather Magnan
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more