I am a medical oncologist with a clinical practice dedicated to the care of patients with breast cancer. My research activities are focused on innovations in the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, with a specific focus on immune therapy. For example, I am currently evaluating the impact of tumor destruction with freezing (cryoablation) in combination with immune stimulation for the treatment of women with early stage breast cancer. It is hoped that by augmenting one’s immune response to the unique biologic features of one’s tumor, that an effected individual may develop long-term immunity against their tumor, and thus, be cured of her disease.
I am a member of several medical groups including the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) and the Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer. I am a reviewer for several clinical journals including the New England Journal of Medicine, Science, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cancer, and Cancer Immunology Research, and have written more than 50 peer-reviewed articles, review articles, invited commentaries, and book chapters. I have served on the Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO YIA/CDA Grants Selection Committee, the ASCO Breast Cancer Symposium Program Committee, a NCI Breast Cancer Steering Committee Working Group, and a Breast International Group Immunotherapy Taskforce.
- Clinical Expertise: Breast Cancer
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, University of Toronto; MPH, Harvard University
- Residencies: University of Calgary (Canada)
- Fellowships: University of British Columbia/British Columbia Cancer Agency; Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine (Canada); Medical Oncology (Canada)
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Heather L. McArthur
- A Phase Ib/II Study of Ad-RTS-hIL-12 and Veledimex for Locally Advanced or Metastatic Breast Cancer
- A Phase III Study of Pembrolizumab Immunotherapy versus Single-Agent Chemotherapy to Treat Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
- A Pilot Study of Presurgical Immunotherapy with Nivolumab, Ipilimumab, and Cryoablation for Early-Stage Breast Cancer
- A Pilot Study of Radiation Therapy to the Brain plus Tremelimumab to Treat Metastatic Breast Cancer
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Heather L. McArthur
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more