I am a nuclear medicine physician and Deputy Chief of the Molecular Imaging and Therapy Service. I have a special expertise in oncologic PET/CT for clinical and research purposes, conventional cardiac imaging, cardiac PET and PET/CT, and antibody treatment. I am an active member of several international imaging societies, including the Academy of Molecular Imaging, the Society of Nuclear Medicine, and the Radiological Society of North America, for which I organize and participate in regular Continuing Medical Education lecture series. As a member of the imaging and lymphoma committees of the Cancer and Leukemia Group B, or CALGB, I organize and participate as an expert reader in national, multicenter trials.
My research interests include the following: the assessment of the role of PET/CT imaging in the detection of head and neck cancer and lymphoma and the follow-up of patients with these diseases, the introduction and clinical evaluation of new PET radiotracers in oncology, the role of PET/CT imaging in radiotherapy planning and response assessment, and the development and evaluation of new techniques for motion control in the detection, treatment planning, and response assessment of lung cancer.
I am a member of the disease management teams for head and neck cancer and lymphoma, and I have organized and conducted several multidisciplinary research projects in these areas.
- Clinical Expertise: Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography (PET/CT) Body Imaging in Oncology; Cardiac Imaging; General Diagnostic and Therapeutic Nuclear Medicine
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Humboldt University (Berlin)
- Residencies: University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center
- Fellowships: University of California, Los Angeles, Medical Center
- Board Certifications: Nuclear Medicine (US); Nuclear Cardiology (US); Diagnostic Radiology and Nuclear Medicine (Germany)
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Heiko Schöder
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Heiko Schöder
- A Phase Ib/II Study of Mocetinostat plus Brentuximab Vedotin in Patients with Recurrent or Persistent Hodgkin Lymphoma
- A Pilot Study Assessing a Special PET Scan to Help Guide the Biopsy of Histiocytic Disorders
- A Study Assessing the Predictive Value of Tumor Hypoxia (Low Oxygen Supply) in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Adoptive Transfer of Autologous T Cells Targeted to Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen for the Treatment of Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Feasibility Study Using Fluoro-Misonidazole Positron Emission Tomography to Detect Hypoxia in Head and Neck Cancer Patients
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more