I am a colorectal surgeon at Memorial Sloan Kettering and Director of the Hereditary Colorectal Cancer Family Registry. I have a long-standing interest in the management of primary and recurrent colon and rectal cancer, early-age-of-onset colorectal cancer, and hereditary colorectal cancer. I also have special expertise in the preservation of the anal sphincter as well as bladder and sexual function following radical surgery for rectal cancer that utilizes minimally invasive techniques including transanal endoscopic microsurgery (TEM), endoscopy, laparoscopy, and robotic procedures using the da Vinci® Surgical System.
Currently, I am the principal investigator of a national study on early-age-of-onset colorectal cancer. I am a Past President of the American Collaborative Group for Inherited Colorectal Cancer, a member of the American Society of Colorectal Surgeons Quality Assessment and Safety Committee, and President of the ASCRS Research Foundation as well as Member of the Executive Council of ASCRS.
I have co-authored more than 200 journal articles and book chapters, and lectured nationally and internationally on colorectal cancer.
- Clinical Expertise: Primary and Recurrent Colorectal and Anal Cancer; Hereditary Colorectal Cancer; Early-Age-of-Onset Colorectal Cancer; Intestinal Carcinoid Tumors; Abdominal Desmoid Tumors; Crohn's Disease; Colitis; Benign Anorectal Diseases; Pseudomyxoma Peritonei; Preservation of the Anal Sphincter and Sexual and Bladder Function Following Rectal Cancer Surgery; Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM); Endoscopy; Laparoscopy
- Awards and Honors: New York Magazine Top Doctors (2005-2016)
- Languages Spoken: English; Spanish
- Education: MD, MPH, Yale University School of Medicine
- Residencies: Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center
- Fellowships: Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center; Lahey Clinic Medical Center (Burlington, Massachusetts)
- Board Certifications: Surgery; Colon and Rectal Surgery
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by José G. Guillem
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more