I am a board-certified radiation oncologist with particular clinical and research interest in genitourinary and gynecologic malignancies. We strongly believe in a multidisciplinary approach to these cancers in order to improve outcomes and reduce toxicity of therapy. My colleagues and I use sophisticated radiation technology — including image-guided brachytherapy, intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) — to optimize therapeutic outcomes while minimizing normal tissue toxicity.
My primary interests include the integration of brachytherapy into the management of genitourinary and gynecologic cancers. Brachytherapy allows the delivery of high doses of radiation directly to tumors with only a minimal dose to normal surrounding tissue such as the bladder and rectum. In addition, I am particularly interested in bladder-preserving strategies using combined-modality approaches as an alternative to radical cystectomy for select patients with bladder cancer. My colleagues and I have developed a novel approach to radiation therapy for bladder cancer using IGRT in this setting.
- Clinical Expertise: Prostate, Bladder, and Testicular Cancers; Gynecologic Cancers; Palliative Radiation Therapy
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University (Israel)
- Residencies: Beth Israel Medical Center; Mount Sinai Medical Center (New York)
- Board Certifications: Radiation Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Marisa A. Kollmeier
- A Phase I Dose-Escalation Study of Image-Guided Radiation Therapy for Bladder Cancer Patients Undergoing Radiotherapy and Concurrent Gemcitabine Chemotherapy
- A Study Assessing the Safety and Effectiveness of Ultra-Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy after Brachytherapy for Localized Intermediate-Risk Prostate Cancer