I am a pediatric oncologist with extensive experience in transplantation with marrow, cord blood, and peripheral blood stem cells. I treat hematologic malignancies (such as leukemia) and immunologic disorders in infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. I also serve as Assistant Chief of the Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Service.
The unrelated donor program at Memorial Sloan Kettering was one of the first in the country and I have participated in it from its inception, working on many committees of the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) and serving as the Chair of its Board of Directors. I have directed clinical trials of blood stem cell transplants from unrelated volunteer or cord blood donors and have also conducted studies of transplants from HLA-matched or HLA-mismatched family members.
I am attracted to the field of bone marrow transplantation because of its translational nature: We have been able to take findings from laboratory research and translate them into tools to cure immunological diseases in patients. Bone marrow transplantation is a lengthy process, and I enjoy getting to know my patients and their families as we go on this journey together.
In addition, I chair the Research Council here at Memorial Sloan Kettering. The Research Council is responsible for the scientific review of all clinical protocols (new research studies). All departments, not just the Department of Pediatrics, submit protocols for review. Once a protocol is approved by the Research Council it is submitted to the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for ethical review.
Education is one of the missions of Memorial Sloan Kettering. Throughout the year I have the opportunity to teach medical students, residents and fellows while attending on the inpatient service and seeing patients in the Pediatric Day Hospital. I particularly like one-on-one teaching with focus on a patient who presents a challenging diagnostic or management problem. I am particularly proud to have received the Willet E. Whitmore Award for Clinical Excellence from Memorial Sloan Kettering in 2004.
I feel enormously gratified when I hear from patients who have graduated from college, married, and had children, and are living healthy and productive lives. Many of them go on to be participants in Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Program for Adult Survivors of Pediatric Cancer.
- Clinical Expertise: Pediatric Oncology; Allogeneic and Autologous Bone Marrow and Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Transplantation; Congenital and Acquired Diseases of Hematopoiesis and Immunity
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, Cornell University Medical College
- Residencies: Pediatrics - Children's Hospital National Medical Center
- Fellowships: Pediatric Hematology/Oncology - New York Hospital/Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Pediatrics; Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Nancy A. Kernan
- A Phase I Study of Immunotherapy with Genetically Modified T Cells Targeting CD19 in Pediatric and Young Adult Patients with Relapsed B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
- A Phase I Study of Modified T Cells Targeted to CD19-Positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Relapsing After Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation
- A Phase II Study of T-Cell Depleted Stem Cell Boost for Adults and Children with Low Blood Counts After Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation
- A Phase III Study Comparing Three Different Regimens to Prevent Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease
- Transplantation of Unrelated Donor Double-Unit Cord Blood with T-Cell-Depleted Stem Cells for Patients with High-Risk Hematologic Cancers
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more