I am a gynecologic oncology surgeon specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of cancers of the uterus, cervix, ovary, and vulva.
I have a particular interest in cytoreductive (or debulking) surgery for patients with advanced ovarian cancer. The goal of cytoreductive surgery is to remove as much visible disease as possible, making the tumor more responsive to chemotherapy and improving treatment success. I am also interested in minimally invasive procedures (laparoscopy and robotics) for patients with gynecologic malignancies or complex benign gynecologic conditions; and in risk-reducing surgery in patients who have a familial risk for breast/ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer.
The main focus of my research has been to establish and evaluate the role of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) for patients with ovarian cancer. HIPEC delivers heated chemotherapy into the abdominal cavity, where it penetrates the diseased tissue directly.
I am also planning to run in the 2014 Marathon for Fred’s Team. If you would like to donate or learn more about Fred’s Team, please visit my team’s page.
- Clinical Expertise: Cancers of the Uterus, Cervix, Ovary, and Vulva. Cytoreductive surgery and peritonectomy procedures for patients with advanced ovarian cancer; hyperthermic intraoperative intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) for patients with peritoneal surface malignancies; minimally invasive procedures (laparoscopy and robotics) for patients with gynecologic malignancies or complex benign gynecologic conditions; fertility-sparing surgery; risk-reducing surgery in patients with familial susceptibility for breast/ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer.
- Languages Spoken: English; German
- Education: MD, Johannes Gutenberg University School of Medicine, Mainz (Germany); SUNY Downstate Medical Center. PhD, University of Bonn (Germany)
- Residencies: Friedrich Wilhelm University of Bonn School of Medicine (Germany)
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Obstetrics/Gyecology (Germany): Gynecologic Oncology (Germany)
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.