I am a gynecologic oncology surgeon specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of cancers of the uterus, cervix, ovary, and vulva.
I have a particular interest in cytoreductive (or debulking) surgery for patients with advanced ovarian cancer. The goal of cytoreductive surgery is to remove as much visible disease as possible, making the tumor more responsive to chemotherapy and improving treatment success. I am also interested in minimally invasive procedures (laparoscopy and robotics) for patients with gynecologic malignancies or complex benign gynecologic conditions; and in risk-reducing surgery in patients who have a familial risk for breast/ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer.
The main focus of my research has been to establish and evaluate the role of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) for patients with ovarian cancer. HIPEC delivers heated chemotherapy into the abdominal cavity, where it penetrates the diseased tissue directly.
I am running the NYC Marathon for Fred’s Team. If you would like to learn more about or donate to Fred’s Team, please visit TCS NYC Marathon: Dr. Oliver Zivanovic - Fred’s Team.
- Clinical Expertise: Cancers of the Uterus, Cervix, Ovary, and Vulva. Cytoreductive surgery and peritonectomy procedures for patients with advanced ovarian cancer; hyperthermic intraoperative intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) for patients with peritoneal surface malignancies; minimally invasive procedures (laparoscopy and robotics) for patients with gynecologic malignancies or complex benign gynecologic conditions; fertility-sparing surgery; risk-reducing surgery in patients with familial susceptibility for breast/ovarian cancer and endometrial cancer.
- Languages Spoken: English; German
- Education: MD, Johannes Gutenberg University School of Medicine, Mainz (Germany); SUNY Downstate Medical Center. PhD, University of Bonn (Germany)
- Residencies: Friedrich Wilhelm University of Bonn School of Medicine (Germany)
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Obstetrics/Gyecology (Germany): Gynecologic Oncology (Germany)
As home to one of the world’s top cancer research centers, Memorial Sloan Kettering is typically involved in more than 900 clinical trials at a given time. Currently, clinical trials focused on the conditions I treat are enrolling new patients. If you’re interested in joining a clinical trial, click to learn about the trial’s purpose, eligibility criteria, and how to get more information.Learn more
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more