I am a board-certified radiation oncologist whose clinical practice is primarily focused on breast cancer. As part of a multi-disciplinary team of breast cancer experts, I work with my colleagues to identify the optimal treatment approach for each patient. At Memorial Sloan Kettering, we use the most modern radiation techniques, including prone treatment, deep inspiratory breath hold, partial breast irradiation, intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and proton therapy to deliver the most precise form of radiation. My colleagues and I on the breast service have great expertise in using all the most modern forms of radiation, and we the tailor the optimal technique to each individual patient.
Read more Read less
I also specialize in the use of proton therapy to treat a variety of tumors that are difficult to treat with traditional forms of radiation, such as pediatric tumors, head and neck cancer, and lung cancer. Currently, this unique technology is available at only 12 centers in the United States. I, along with other radiation oncologists from Memorial Sloan Kettering, treat select patients with proton beam therapy at the ProCure Proton Therapy Center in Somerset, New Jersey.
Proton therapy is an advanced form of radiation therapy that delivers high doses of radiation to radio-resistant tumors to improve long-term disease control. In addition, proton therapy minimizes the amount of radiation delivered to healthy tissues that lie in close proximity to tumors, thereby reducing the risk of treatment-related side effects. Proton therapy has been used for decades in the treatment of prostate, pediatric, brain, eye, head and neck, and skull base tumors for decades. Today, proton therapy is actively being investigated for select patients with lung, esophageal, liver, and breast cancer, as well as sarcomas and lymphomas. We are participating in several of clinical trials to better characterize the potential benefits of proton therapy in a number of disease sites. My research focuses on better characterizing the potential benefits of proton therapy as well as optimizing its delivery.
- Clinical Expertise: Proton Therapy; Pediatric Radiation Oncology
- Languages Spoken: English; Hebrew
- Education: MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Residencies: Radiation Oncology - Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Radiation Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Read more Read less
Clinical Trials Led by Oren Cahlon
Clinical Trials Co-Investigated by Oren Cahlon
- A Phase II Study Comparing Higher-Dose with Standard-Dose Radiotherapy for Glioblastoma
- A Phase II Study of Proton Re-Irradiation Therapy for Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer
- A Phase II Study of Proton versus Photon Beam Radiotherapy to Treat Head and Neck Cancer
- A Phase III Study of Chemotherapy with Either Proton Therapy or Conventional Photon Radiation Therapy to Treat Inoperable Stage II-IIIB Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
- A Study Assessing Lower-Dose Radiation Therapy for High-Risk Neuroblastoma
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more