I am the Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery, a founder of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Brain Tumor Center, and a senior neurosurgical oncologist with more than 30 years of practice dedicated entirely to the surgical treatment of brain tumors. I have special expertise in the surgery of gliomas, meningiomas (including atypical and anaplastic meningiomas), acoustic neuromas, and metastases from systemic cancers, and my surgical practice is humane and patient-centered. My particular surgical focus demands that I be expert in stereotactic tumor localization, computerized navigation, awake surgery with brain mapping, and intraoperative MRI, all of which we use regularly in our work. I am similarly expert in the radiation treatment of brain tumors, including stereotactic radiosurgery and radioactive tumor implants; the optimization of brain tumor radiotherapy is my particular research interest.
- Clinical Expertise: Brain Tumor Surgery; Radiosurgery; Stereotactic Surgery; Acoustic Neuroma; Meningioma; Pineal Tumors.
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Residencies: University of California, San Francisco
- Fellowships: National Cancer Institute
- Board Certifications: Neurological Surgery
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.