I am a pediatric oncologist who specializes in the treatment of children and young adults with neuroblastoma and other solid tumors, such as desmoplastic small round cell tumors. These are challenging cancers to treat. By caring for patients and conducting research, I hope to be able make an impact and improve the lives of people diagnosed with these diseases.
Our multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals discusses each patient’s case in order to put together an individualized treatment plan. Memorial Sloan Kettering treats a large number of patients with neuroblastoma, and this volume has afforded us a wealth of knowledge and depth of expertise that benefit all patients. I am also inspired by the parents of my patients, who work tirelessly to support each other and to raise funds for research. They are vital members of our team.
With my colleagues, I translate laboratory research into new immunologic therapies that can target these tumors. We are evaluating radiolabeled monoclonal antibody treatments in combination with cell-based therapies that may enhance their effectiveness. Our research has defined the standards of care used to treat neuroblastoma today.
I also expertly served as chair for the department’s quality assessment committee for many years and have overseen the development and implementation of dozens of strategies, changes, and enhancements to improve patient safety and satisfaction.
In addition to caring for patients and conducting research, I teach and mentor fellows. I am able to provide them with a unique viewpoint on rare diseases that are difficult to find at other institutions. It is gratifying for me to see them make their own contributions to our field.
- Clinical Expertise: Pediatric Hematology-Oncology; Immunotherapy; Neuroblastoma
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: MD, T.N. Medical College, Bombay University (India)
- Residencies: B.Y.L. Nair Charitable Hospital (Bombay, India); Birmingham Children's Hospital (UK); Blank Children's Hospital (Des Moines, Iowa)
- Fellowships: Royal Marsden Hospital (Sutton, UK); NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital; Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Pediatrics; Hematology-Oncology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Clinical Trials Led by Shakeel Modak
- A Phase I Study of Anti-GD2 3F8 Antibody and Allogeneic Natural Killer Cells for High-Risk Neuroblastoma
- A Phase I Study of Intraperitoneal Radioimmunotherapy with 131I-8H9 for Patients with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumors and Other Solid Peritoneal Tumors
- A Phase I Study of LDK378 in Children with Cancers Containing an ALK Mutation
- A Pilot Study of PET Imaging of Solid Tumors Using Radioactive Iodine-Labeled Hu3F8