I am a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in helping patients with cancer and their families. As Director of the Bereavement Clinic in our Counseling Center, I focus on assisting people who are coping with the loss of a loved one, and I specialize in helping those whose grief persists over time. I also provide psychological counseling to breast cancer patients using a variety of psychotherapeutic approaches, with an emphasis on cognitive-behavioral and existential therapies.
In my research and clinical trial work, I strive to develop interventions for people with cancer and their families to better cope with their grief and fears. How do people with advanced cancer and their families find purpose and meaning while contending with advanced disease and loss? Why do some people develop persistent and debilitating symptoms of grief – and what can be done about this? In my work with bereaved parents, I aim to better understand the meaning-making processes, and psychosocial needs, of this unique and profound type of loss.
I am a member of the American Psychological Association, the Society of Behavioral Medicine, and the Association of Death Education and Counseling.
- Clinical Expertise: Psychological Counseling for Patients with Breast Cancer, particularly Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy and Existential Approaches; Palliative Care and Bereavement Interventions
- Languages Spoken: English
- Education: PhD, University of Pennsylvania
- Residencies: NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
- Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications: Clinical Psychology
Research is integral to our mission at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and clinical trials help us discover better forms of patient care and treatment. For you, this could mean access to a new therapy or therapy combination. Click to see a list of the trials I’m currently leading.
Most major health insurers offer plans that include MSK as one of their in-network providers. If MSK is in-network, it means all our doctors are too. Medicaid and New York State Medicare also provide benefits for care at MSK.Learn more