Ameluz; Levulan Kerastick
- It is used to treat a precancerous skin problem called actinic keratosis.
- If you have an allergy to aminolevulinic acid or any other part of this drug.
- If you are allergic to porphyrins.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your skin is sensitive to light.
- If you have porphyria.
- If you are taking any drugs that may make your skin more sensitive to light. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this drug. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- The treated area may be more sensitive to light. Light may cause a burning or stinging feeling. Protect the treated area and skin around it from sun, sunlamps, bright indoor lights, and tanning beds after this drug is put on and for as long as you have been told by your doctor. Wear the proper covering like a wide-brimmed hat, long sleeve shirt, or gloves to protect the treated skin from light. Sunscreens will not help.
- Do not use sunscreen or other drugs on affected part.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- This drug may cause harm if swallowed. If this drug is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- People using this drug may get skin reactions where this drug is used or around the area. These reactions may include burning, crusting, dryness, flaking, itching, oozing, redness, scabbing, scaling, stinging, or swelling. Most of the time, these reactions will go away within a few weeks after using this drug. Talk with the doctor.
- Call your doctor right away if you have a skin reaction that bothers you or if the reaction makes it hard to keep putting this drug on. Call your doctor right away if you have a skin reaction that causes problems with daily living.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- This drug has alcohol in it. Very bad irritation may happen if covered or bandaged for longer than 3 hours. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Bleeding where this drug is used.
- Eyelid swelling.
- Change in color of skin where drug is used.
- Memory problems may rarely happen with the use of this drug and light therapy. Most of the time, these memory problems go back to normal after a short amount of time. Call your doctor right away if you have memory problems or loss, or if you feel confused.
- This drug is used with light therapy.
- Your doctor or other healthcare provider will put on the skin.
- Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- If you get this drug in any of these areas, rinse well with water.
- Do not wash the treated part before you have the light therapy.
- You will need to protect your eyes during the light therapy. Follow what your doctor has told you.
- If you cannot have the light therapy after this drug has been put on, talk with your doctor. Avoid bright light for as long as you have been told by your doctor.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- You will need to go back to your doctor’s office for the light therapy after this drug has been put on the skin. Make sure you know when you need to return to the office.
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
- If you need to store this drug at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.