Atropine-Care [DSC]; Isopto Atropine
Dioptic’s Atropine Solution; Isopto Atropine
- It is used to widen the pupil before an eye exam or eye surgery.
- It is used to treat eye swelling.
- It is used to treat lazy eye (amblyopia).
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child has glaucoma.
- If your child has had a bad reaction to this drug in the past.
All eye products:
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have your child avoid tasks or actions that call for clear eyesight while your child’s pupils are dilated.
- Bright lights may bother your child for some time after using this drug. Have your child wear sunglasses for as long as you were told by your child’s doctor.
- This drug may cause harm if swallowed. If this drug is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
- Do not give this drug to a child younger than 3 months of age.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Feeling irritable.
- Dry mouth.
- Dry skin.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Eye irritation.
- Feeling sleepy.
All eye products:
- For the eye only.
- Wash hands before and after use.
- Do not touch the container tip to your child’s eye, lid, or other skin.
- Tilt your child’s head back and drop drug into the eye.
- After giving this drug, ask your child to keep eyes closed. Put light pressure on the inside corner of the eye. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes. This keeps the drug in your child’s eye.
- Have your child take out contact lenses before using this drug. Talk with the doctor to see when lenses may be put back in after this drug is given. Do not put lenses back in if your child’s eyes are irritated or infected.
- Gently pull down the lower lid and squeeze in how much the doctor told you to use.
- Let go of the lower eyelid and have your child keep eyes closed for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Give a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child’s next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child’s normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.