This information describes what you can do to prevent falling while you’re in the hospital.
- Call for help every time you need to get out of bed.
- Do not bend over. If you drop something, call for help.
- Talk with your nurse about your medications. Certain medications can increase your risk for falls.
- Avoid leaning on furniture with wheels for support, such as your bedside table, overbed table, and IV pole.
- Wear laced or closed-toe shoes or slippers with nonskid soles. Do not wear backless slippers.
- Help us make sure we have:
- Turned on a night light for you before it gets dark
- Placed the items you may need within reach
- Raised your bedrails
- Made a clear path for you to get to the bathroom
- Call right away if you see any spills that need to be wiped up. Every time we mop the floor, we will put up a yellow sign to tell you that the floor is wet.
- Use the grab bars in the bathroom and railings in the hallways.
- If you have glasses or hearing aid(s), wear them when you’re out of bed.
Call! Don't Fall!©2015 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - Generated on July 30, 2015