Colestid; Colestid Flavored
- It is used to lower cholesterol.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have an allergy to colestipol or any other part of this drug.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this drug. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Take other drugs at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after you take this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- If the tablet gets stuck after you swallow it, you may notice chest pain or pressure. If this happens, call your doctor right away. Do not take another tablet unless told to do so by your doctor.
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very hard stools (constipation).
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Muscle pain.
- Back pain.
- Take with or without food.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Mix with 1/2 cup (4 ounces/120 mL) of milk, fruit juice, or broth.
- You may also mix it with applesauce or crushed pineapple.
- Do not take dry powder.
- Take 1 tablet at a time.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.