Aktipak; Benzamycin; Benzamycin Pak [DSC]
- It is used to treat pimples (acne).
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause very bad and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or very bad irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure your child does not have an allergic reaction. Put on this drug as you were told by the doctor or read the package label. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not have your child use longer than you have been told by your child’s doctor.
- Use of other skin products while using this drug may cause more irritation.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before you use other drugs or products on your child’s skin.
- Use care when putting on. It may bleach hair or colored fabric.
- Your child may get sunburned more easily. Avoid lots of sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and dress your child in clothing and eyewear that protects him/her from the sun.
- Diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, and a certain bowel problem (colitis) have happened with this drug. Very bad colitis may lead to death. Call your child’s doctor right away if your child has stomach pain or cramps, very bad or watery diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea. Do not try to treat diarrhea without first checking with your child’s doctor.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
- This drug may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Dry skin.
- Do not give by mouth. Use on your child’s skin only. Keep out of your child’s mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Wash and rinse affected skin with warm water, then pat dry.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Do not put on irritated skin.
- Put on gel at the same time of day.
- Mix in the palm of your hand.
- Use right away after mixing.
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child’s next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child’s normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Throw away any part not used after 3 months.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.