- This drug raises the chance of a health problem called nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF) in some people. This may lead to very bad and sometimes deadly skin, muscle, and organ problems. Call the doctor right away if your child has skin burning, itching, swelling, or scaling; red or dark spots on the skin; or hard or tight skin. Call the doctor right away if your child has stiff joints; muscle weakness, or hip or rib pain. Call the doctor right away if your child has trouble moving, bending, or straightening arms, hands, legs, or feet.
- Before your child uses this drug, talk with the doctor if your child has any of these health problems: High blood pressure, high blood sugar (diabetes), kidney disease, or liver disease. Tell the doctor if your child has recently taken a drug like this one.
- Your child’s blood work may need to be checked. Talk with the doctor.
- It is used during an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) test.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- Tell dentists, surgeons, and other doctors that your child is using this drug.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic reactions have rarely happened. Talk with your child’s doctor.
- Kidney failure has happened with this drug in people who already had kidney problems. Talk with the doctor.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- It is given as a shot into a vein.
- Call your child’s doctor to find out what to do.
- This drug will be given to your child in a hospital or doctor’s office. You will not store it at home.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.