This information explains how to shower with Hibiclens® while you are in the hospital. Your healthcare team has recommended that you shower with Hibiclens® skin cleanser while you are in the hospital. It contains a fast-acting antiseptic called chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) that kills germs that live on your skin and will reduce your risk of infection. Hibiclens® can work for up to 6 hours after using it. You may need to use Hibiclens:
- Daily while your central venous catheter is in place.
- Before and after a surgery or procedure.
- If you are a patient in the ICU, have a hematological malignancy, or are getting a stem cell transplant.
Instructions for Using Hibiclens®
- If you are washing your hair, shampoo and rinse thoroughly.
- Wash your face with regular soap.
- Rinse your body with warm water from the neck down.
- Apply Hibiclens® to a washcloth or directly to the skin being cleansed. Wash gently. Do not dilute the Hibiclens®.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and pat yourself dry.
Important Points to Remember When Using Hibiclens®
- Do not use Hibiclens® on children who are younger than 2 months old.
- Do not use Hibiclens® if you are allergic to chlorhexidine.
- Do not use Hibiclens® on your face, ears, genital region, or on deep wounds.
- Do not use regular soap, lotion, powder, or deodorant after washing with Hibiclens®.