- It is used to lower high phosphate levels.
- If you have an allergy to lanthanum or any other part of this drug.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have a bowel block.
- If you have hard stools (constipation).
- Tell dentists, surgeons, and other doctors that you use this drug.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor that you use this drug if you are getting x-rays near the belly.
- Very bad stomach or bowel blockage has happened with this drug. Sometimes, this has led to the need for surgery or treatment in a hospital. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not give to a child. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Very hard stools (constipation).
- Very loose stools (diarrhea).
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Belly pain.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Take with or right after a meal.
- Do not take antacids within 2 hours of this drug.
- This drug prevents many other drugs from getting into the body. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than this drug.
- Take as you have been told, even if you feel well.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Chew or crush well. Do not swallow it whole.
- Do not open until you are ready to use.
- Sprinkle powder on a small amount of applesauce or other soft food. Do not try to melt in liquid.
- After mixing, take your dose right away. Do not store for future use.
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- This drug comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time this drug is refilled.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
If you have any questions or concerns, talk with a member of your healthcare team. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ____________________. After 5:00 pm, during the weekend, and on holidays, please call____________________. If there’s no number listed, or you’re not sure, call
Lanthanum©2015 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - Generated on October 10, 2015