- It is used to numb an area of the skin before care.
- It is used to lower pain from shots.
- It is used before dental care to numb the area.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child has a hole in the eardrum.
- If your child has methemoglobinemia.
- Tell dentists, surgeons, and other doctors that your child is using this drug.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, eczema, or damaged skin.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- This drug may cause harm if swallowed. If this drug is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Do not let your child scratch or rub the skin while it is numb. Do not let the skin get very hot or very cold.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Very bad mouth irritation.
- Skin irritation.
- Change in how your child feels hot or cold.
- Pale skin.
- Bad taste in your child’s mouth.
- Upset stomach.
- Mouth irritation.
- Do not give by mouth. Use on your child’s skin only. Keep out of your child’s mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Do not put on irritated skin.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Use a rubber glove to put on.
- Put a thick layer on the part where the shot is to be given. Do not rub in.
- You may need to cover the treated area with a bandage or dressing. Talk with the doctor.
- It will be put on by the doctor.
- Call your child’s doctor to find out what to do.
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
If you have any questions or concerns, talk with a member of your healthcare team. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ____________________. After 5:00 pm, during the weekend, and on holidays, please call____________________. If there’s no number listed, or you’re not sure, call 212-639-2000.