- It is used to numb an area of the skin before care.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child has ever had methemoglobinemia.
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not let your child scratch or rub the skin while it is numb. Do not let the skin get very hot or very cold.
- Do not put on cuts, scrapes, or damaged skin.
- Use care when using on a large part of the skin. Talk with the doctor.
- Be careful about vaccines while your child is getting this drug.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
- This drug may cause harm if swallowed. If this drug is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- The patch may have metal. Take off your child’s patch before an MRI.
- This drug may cause harm if chewed or swallowed. If this drug has been put in the mouth, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Skin irritation.
- Feeling hot or cold.
- Trouble breathing, slow breathing, or shallow breathing.
- Very bad numbness and tingling.
- Feeling lightheaded, sleepy, having blurred eyesight, or a change in thinking clearly.
- Feeling confused.
- Mood changes.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Ringing in ears.
- Change in eyesight.
- Pale skin, redness, or swelling where this drug is used.
- This drug is used on the skin.
- Keep out of your child’s eyes.
- If this drug gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Your child’s doctor will put on the skin.
- Do not use coverings (bandages, dressings, make-up) unless told to do so by the doctor.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Do not cut or tear the patch.
- Do not touch the drug in the middle of the patch. Touch only the sticky edges of the patch.
- Wash your hands after use.
- Do not get the patch wet. Keep it dry. Do not cover the small holes on the outside of the patch.
- Take off the patch right away if it burns.
- After you take off the patch, press the sticky side of the used patch onto the foil pouch.
- Call your child’s doctor to find out what to do.
- If you need to store this drug at home, talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
- Store in the pouch that comes with this drug to help keep away from children.
- Throw away all patches in a sealed container away from children and pets.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.