- It is used to avoid or treat skin infections in patients with burns.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Be careful if your child has G6PD deficiency. Anemia may happen.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- Talk with the doctor if your child is pregnant, becomes pregnant, or is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug.
- If your child is allergic to sulfites, talk with your child’s doctor. Some products have sulfites in them.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of too much acid in the blood (acidosis) like confusion; fast breathing; fast heartbeat; a heartbeat the does not feel normal; very bad stomach pain, upset stomach, or throwing up; feeling very sleepy; shortness of breath; or feeling very tired or weak.
- Very bad irritation where this drug is used.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly type of anemia called hemolytic anemia has happened with this drug. Call the doctor right away if your child has pale skin, dizziness, fever or chills, very bad back or belly pain, dark urine, yellow skin or eyes, or feels very tired or weak.
- Short-term pain after use.
- Irritation where this drug is used.
- Do not give by mouth. Use on your child’s skin only. Keep out of your child’s mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Keep using this drug as you have been told by your child’s doctor or other health care provider, even if your child’s signs get better.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Clean affected part and take off dead skin.
- Wear special gloves while putting this drug on.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
- Cover the burn parts with cream at all times.
- The treated part may be covered with a dressing.
- Mix powder with sterile water or sodium chloride until it melts.
- Put liquid on the gauze covering the burn.
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child’s next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child’s normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Store liquid in a closed container.
- Throw away any part of the unopened liquid container not used after 28 days.
- Throw away any part of the opened liquid container not used after 48 hours.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.