Episil; Gelclair; Mucotrol; MuGard; Orafate; ProThelial
- It is used to treat mouth sores.
- It is used to treat mouth irritation.
- It is used to treat canker sores.
- If you have an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- Tell dentists, surgeons, and other doctors that you use this drug.
- Do not use this drug for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- This drug has alcohol in it. This may cause a burning feeling when you put it on.
- This drug may cause harm if a large amount is swallowed. If a large amount of this drug is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Prime pump before first use.
- Spray into mouth as you are told. Do not swallow.
- Water is not needed.
- Swish wafer in your mouth and let it melt slowly. Do not drink or eat for at least 1 hour after using.
All other products:
- Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after using.
All liquid products:
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with this drug. If there is none, get an oral syringe, a dropper, a spoon, or a cup (only for older children) from your pharmacist.
Oral rinse (solution):
- Do not add water or other liquid to water down.
- Rinse 1 to 2 teaspoonfuls (5 to 10 mL) in mouth for at least 1 minute, then spit out or swallow.
Oral rinse (suspension):
- Shake well before use.
- Rinse 1 tablespoonful (15 mL) in mouth for at least 1 minute. Some products may be spit out or swallowed. Some products must be spit out. Be sure you know how to use your product.
- Mix with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of water. If too thick, you may add 1 to 2 more tablespoons (15 to 30 mL) of water. Mix well and use right away.
All gel products:
- Rinse in your mouth for at least 1 minute, and then spit out.
- You may also use this drug without mixing.
- This drug may become a little darker and thicker over time. This is normal and will not affect the drug.
- If you use this drug on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this drug is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
Oral rinse (suspension):
- Store at room temperature.
- It may be refrigerated to make it taste better.
- Throw away any part not used after 2 weeks.
All other products:
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Protect from heat and sunlight.
- Throw away any part not used after 1 month.
- Store in the carton to protect from light.
- Do not use if this drug is out of date.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
If you have any questions or concerns, talk with a member of your healthcare team. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ____________________. After 5:00 pm, during the weekend, and on holidays, please call____________________. If there’s no number listed, or you’re not sure, call 212-639-2000.
Mucosal Coating Agent©2015 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - Generated on November 30, 2015