This information explains osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT).
What is OMT?
OMT involves moving your muscles and joints with stretching, gentle pressure, and resistance. It can help to:
- Ease pain
- Improve joint range of motion and mobility
- Improve muscle mechanics
- Balance the body
- Prevent further injury to the musculoskeletal system
- Promote healing
OMT may be used with other forms of medical care, such as medications or surgery, to help you recover from illness and injury and reduce pain. OMT can be used to treat conditions such as:
- Back, neck and shoulder pain
- Neuromuscular pain syndromes (neuropathy, myopathy, etc.)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Migraines and tension headaches
- Sinus disorders
- Middle ear infections
- Have or had any recent illnesses or surgery
- Have or had a fracture, surgery, or cancer in your spine, ribs, or the bones in your arms or shoulders
- Have osteoporosis
- Think you may be pregnant
- A mild headache
- Mild discomfort at the site of the manipulation
- Brief episodes of feeling flushed, dizzy, or nauseous immediately after the treatment
If you have any questions or concerns, talk with a member of your healthcare team. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ____________________. After 5:00 pm, during the weekend, and on holidays, please call____________________. If there’s no number listed, or you’re not sure, call 212-639-2000.