iOSAT [OTC]; SSKI; ThyroSafe [OTC]; ThyroShield [OTC] [DSC]
- It is used to prevent thyroid cancer from radiation.
- It is used to thin mucus so it can be taken from the body by coughing.
- It is used to aid diet needs.
- It may be given to your child for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
- If your child has an allergy to this drug or any part of this drug.
- If your child has an allergy to iodine.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child has any of these health problems: Certain skin or blood vessel problems.
- If your child has a growth on the thyroid gland and has heart disease.
- Tell all of your child’s health care providers that your child is taking this drug. This includes your child’s doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have your child’s blood work checked often. Talk with your child’s doctor.
- This drug may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your child’s health care providers and lab workers that your child takes this drug.
- Talk with the doctor before your child uses a salt substitute.
- Give this drug only as you have been told by the doctor. Do not give more than you were told to give or give more often then you were told to give it. Giving too much of this drug may raise the risk of side effects. Do not give this drug if your child is allergic to iodine.
If your child is pregnant or breast-feeding a baby:
- This drug may cause harm to the unborn baby if your child takes it during pregnancy. If your child is pregnant or gets pregnant while taking this drug, call the doctor right away.
- Tell the doctor if your child is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about any risks to the baby.
- If your child is taking this drug and is breast-feeding a baby, have the baby’s thyroid checked.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Wheezing or coughing.
- Shortness of breath.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Chest pain.
- Fever and joint pain.
- Neck swelling.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Feeling of heaviness in your arms or legs.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Feeling confused.
- Very bad headache, metal taste, sore teeth and gums, burning of the mouth or throat, eye irritation, eyelid swelling, more spit, or skin irritation.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
All liquid products:
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with this drug.
- Give this drug with food or a milky drink.
- Mix liquid with water, milk, or fruit juice before giving to your child.
- Do not use if it turns brownish-yellow.
- Have your child drink lots of noncaffeine liquids every day unless told to drink less liquid by your child’s doctor.
- Give this drug only when told to by public health officials.
- Give once a day until the chance of being exposed to radiation ends.
- You may make a liquid mixture using the tablet. Crush the tablet and mix it with water as told. It is then to be mixed with low fat white or chocolate milk, infant formula, orange juice, flat soda, or raspberry syrup. The mixture may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Give a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child’s next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child’s normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
All liquid products:
- Protect from cold.
- If your child’s symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child’s doctor.
- Do not share your child’s drug with others and do not give anyone else’s drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child’s drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child’s doctor.
- Talk with your child’s doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your child’s doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.