Dietary Fiber Laxative [OTC]; Evac [OTC]; Fiber Therapy [OTC]; Geri-Mucil [OTC]; Konsyl [OTC]; Konsyl-D [OTC]; Metamucil MultiHealth Fiber [OTC]; Natural Fiber Therapy [OTC]; Natural Psyllium Seed [OTC]; Natural Vegetable Fiber [OTC]; Reguloid [OTC]; Sorbulax [OTC]
- It is used to treat hard stools (constipation).
- It is used to raise fiber in the diet.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have an allergy to psyllium or any other part of this drug.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have bowel block.
- If you have trouble swallowing.
- Tell dentists, surgeons, and other doctors that you use this drug.
- Try to space other drugs from this one by 2 hours. This drug stops many drugs from getting into the body.
- Do not use other laxatives or stool softeners unless told to do so by your doctor.
- If you do not take this drug with lots of liquid, it may swell and block your throat or swallowing tube (esophagus) and may cause choking. Do not take if you have trouble swallowing. If you have chest pain, are throwing up, or have trouble swallowing or breathing after taking this drug, get help right away.
- If you have PKU, talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this drug while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
- Belly pain.
- Belly cramps.
- Take with or without food.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- If you take more than 1 capsule per dose, be sure to swallow only 1 capsule at a time.
- Mix with a full glass of water or other liquid and drink.
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this drug is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else’s drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about this drug, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
If you have any questions or concerns, talk with a member of your healthcare team. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ____________________. After 5:00 pm, during the weekend, and on holidays, please call____________________. If there’s no number listed, or you’re not sure, call 212-639-2000.