This information provides tips to help you get the most out of your televisit.Back to top
About Your Televisit
A televisit is when your healthcare provider uses technology to care for you without you having to travel to their office. During your televisit, you and your healthcare provider will see, hear, and talk with each other by video using MyMSK (MSK’s patient portal) on your smart device (smartphone or tablet) or computer. Your healthcare provider will be able to check how you’re doing, diagnose any problems you have, and come up with a treatment plan for you. Your video won’t be recorded or saved. For more information about televisits, read our resource Televisits at MSK.Back to top
Before Your Televisit
Follow the tips below to get ready for your televisit.
- If you would like to have your friend, family member, or an interpreter join your call, let the Office Coordinator who scheduled your appointment know.
- You’ll need an Internet connection or cellular service for your visit. Test out your connection or cellular service to make sure it’s working.
- You’ll need to log onto your MyMSK account to begin your televisit so have your username and password ready. If your caregiver manages your MyMSK account for you, ask them for your login information or have them help you.
- Before your televisit, you’ll need to sign a consent form on MyMSK. You’ll only need to do this once before your first televisit. For more information, read How to Sign Your Telehealth Consent Form.
- Make sure you know how which program you’ll be using for your televisit:
- If you’re having your televisit using MSK Telemedicine, read Getting Ready for Your Televisit: Using MSK Telemedicine.
- If you’re having your televisit using Cisco Jabber Guest on your computer, install the software a few hours before your appointment. For more information, read Getting Ready for Your Televisit: Using Cisco Jabber Guest on Your Personal Computer (PC) or Getting Ready for Your Televisit: Using Cisco Jabber Guest on Your Apple Computer.
- If you’re having your televisit using Cisco Jabber Guest on your smart device, make sure you have the MyMSK app installed on your device before your televisit. For more information, read Getting Ready for Your Televisit: Using Your Smart Device.
- Make sure you let the software access your camera and microphone so your healthcare provider can see and hear you.
- Find a quiet and private space away from the public to have your televisit.
- Make sure this space has good lighting so your healthcare provider can see you. Lighting should be in front of you, not behind you.
- Check that your speakers, camera, and microphone are on and working correctly.
- Make sure your device is charged or is connected to power and charging.
- Turn down the volume on any radios, TVs, or other devices in the area.
- If you’re using a smart device, put it in landscape mode. This will help your healthcare provider see you better. You can also place your device on a stand or prop it up with books so it stays still.
During Your Televisit
- During your televisit, it’s important for you to stay in one place to avoid losing your Internet connection or cellular service. Don’t have your visit while you’re commuting.
- Make sure the camera is pointed at you and you can see the screen clearly.
- Once you’re connected, you should be able to see and hear your healthcare provider and yourself. If you don’t, call your healthcare provider.
- There may be a slight delay in the video and audio during your visit. This is normal.
- At the end of your visit, ask your healthcare provider any questions you have about your care.