This information provides tips to help you get the most out of your televisit.
About Your Televisit
A televisit is when your healthcare provider uses technology to care for you without you having to travel to their office. During your televisit, you and your healthcare provider will see, hear, and talk with each other by video using MyMSK (MSK’s patient portal) on your smart device (smartphone or tablet) or computer. Your healthcare provider will be able to check how you’re doing, diagnose any problems you have, and come up with a treatment plan for you. Your video won’t be recorded or saved.
For more information about televisits, read our resource Televisits at MSK.Back to top
Before Your Televisit
Follow the tips below to get ready for your televisit.
- If you’re using a smart device, make sure you have the MyMSK app installed before your visit. You should also know your username and password for MyMSK so that you can log on before your visit.
- If your caregiver manages your MyMSK account for you, make sure they’re with you during your televisit so they can help you.
- Make sure you let the app access your device’s camera and microphone so your healthcare provider can see and hear you.
- Find a quiet and private space away from the public to have your visit.
- Make sure this space has good lighting so your healthcare provider can see you. Lighting should be in front of you, not behind you.
- You will need an Internet connection or cellular service for your visit. Test out your connection or cellular service before your visit to make sure it’s working.
- Check that your speakers, camera, and microphone are on and working correctly.
- Make sure your device is charged or is connected to the power and charging.
- Turn down the volume on any radios, TV’s, or other devices in the area.
- Put your smart device in landscape mode. This will help your healthcare provider see you better.
- Place your device on a stand or prop it up with books so it stays still.
- Make sure the camera is pointed at you and you can see the screen clearly.
During Your Televisit
- During your televisit, it’s important for you to stay in one place to avoid losing your Internet connection or cellular service. Don’t have your visit while you’re commuting.
- Once you’re connected, you should be able to see and hear your healthcare provider and yourself. If you don’t, call your healthcare provider.
- There may be a slight delay in the video and audio during your visit. This is normal.
- At the end of your visit, ask your healthcare provider any questions you have about your care.