- Who is eligible to volunteer as a Visible Ink writing mentor?
- How do I become a Visible Ink mentor?
- Can I be a Visible Ink mentor if I don’t live in the New York City area?
- How much time must I devote to the program?
- Will I get special training before starting to work with writers?
- What if I’m not comfortable coaching all kinds of writing?
All mentors must be college graduates with experience and expertise in writing, editing, and/or teaching. Experience as a mentor is desirable but not required.Back to top Back to top
While most of our mentors live in the greater New York area, some reside elsewhere and work with their participants via phone, email, or web chat. Many participants live outside the local area as well.Back to top
We expect our mentors to make a regular commitment to Visible Ink and their participants. Mentors should notify Judith Kelman, Visible Ink’s Executive Director, about scheduling issues or changes.
Note: All mentors are required by MSK to report their hours monthly.Back to top
Yes. We’re here to support you. Our writing mentors receive orientation that provides strategies for how to work effectively with participants. As a mentor, you’ll have ongoing interactions with our Visible Ink team. Many of our mentors also find our resource manual and contact with other volunteers helpful. We can provide support from MSK social workers, program administrators, patient representatives, and others to handle special challenges that might arise.Back to top
You will be paired with participants based on your areas of experience and expertise.Back to top