This satisfying egg dish makes for an energizing breakfast or a special family-friendly dinner entrée. Make the meal heartier by serving it with multigrain toast.
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
¼ cup fresh oregano leaves, coarsely chopped
4 slices multigrain toast (optional)
- Thoroughly rinse fresh produce under warm running water for 20 seconds. Scrub to remove excess dirt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes with juices, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until nicely thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Place four medium ramekins on a baking sheet. Divide tomato sauce evenly between ramekins. Top with mozzarella and oregano. Break 2 eggs into each ramekin, on top of the tomato sauce and cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until egg whites are opaque and yolks register as 160 degrees or higher using an instant-read thermometer (set but still slightly runny in the middle), about 15 minutes. Eggs will continue cooking from residual heat. Let cool slightly and serve with toast, if desired.