Required Application Materials
2) Non-refundable 100 USD application fee
International students must submit a check in US dollars (drawn on a US bank), US travelers cheque, or international money order made payable to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. We do not accept wire transfers or credit card payments.
3) Letter of intent/motivation
Please explain your interest in oncology and your reason(s) for choosing the electives listed on your application. Your letter will help us understand your goals, previous related experience(s) and academic preparedness.
4) Dean’s letter
The letter must be on your school’s letterhead and include your:
- Status or year in school. Applicants must currently be in their final year (last 12 months). If you are not in your last 12 months of medical school but will be at the time of your proposed elective(s), include when you will enter your final 12 months.
- Expected date of graduation
- Academic standing- All letters must verify that you are in good standing
- School’s authorization that you may participate in electives at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and that you will receive academic credit for your elective(s)
- Approved dates for Memorial Sloan Kettering elective training
5) Signed Copy of Program Policies
Elective Program Medical Student Elective Program Policies.
6) Letter of recommendation
This letter should be from a faculty member (other than your Dean) who can comment on both your academic performance and clinical skills.
7) Curriculum vitae
Your CV must contain the following:
- Education: medical, graduate, and undergraduate school
- Academic honors and awards
- Employment history
- Language skills (proficiency in both conversational and medical English is mandatory)
8) Transcript requirements
An English translation of your most recent academic transcript is required. Your transcript must list your grades for all courses taken during medical school. If your school does not issue letter grades, a separate Dean’s letter must confirm this and explain the grading scale used. Applicants are required to demonstrate strong academic credentials. They must maintain a minimum 3.0 on a 4.0 grade point average scale or B average.
9) USMLE Step 1 test score
Both pages of the report are required for all applicants from international and offshore medical schools. The only equivalent test scores that will be considered are those issued by German medical schools.
If accepted, you must submit the following documents. If we do not receive these documents at least four weeks in advance of your start, we will cancel your elective(s):
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center health attestation form. Health documents submitted on other forms will not be accepted.
- Proof of health insurance for the period of the elective displaying the dates of coverage and benefits.
- Proof of Malpractice Insurance coverage for your entire elective. Coverage must be provided by a US agent offering medical student malpractice insurance. Your proof of coverage must contain the company’s location and the terms of your policy, dates of coverage, and amounts per incident and aggregate in US dollars.
- All approved students will need to apply for a Letter of Eligibility (LOE) from the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Students must submit a check for 30 USD to the NYSED with their LOE application (only checks are accepted).
- All approved students will need to submit proof of New York State approved infection control training. Instructions on how to be obtain training will be included in your acceptance email. Training currently costs 25 USD.
Send all items to the attention of the Medical Student Coordinator at:
Graduate Medical Education, Box 187
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
1275 York Avenue
New York, NY 10065
If you have further questions, please refer to the FAQ section below: