Dr. Zhang’s current research interests are survival analysis, longitudinal data analysis and semiparametric inferences. In particular, he is interested in developing methodology for data subject to complicated censorship and/or truncation, which frequently arise in clinical trials and medical studies. He is also interested in statistical research aiming at understanding the biological mechanisms of gene regulation. Dr. Zhang collaborates with colleagues in the Department of Radiation Oncology, the Department of Medical Physics and the Lymphoma Service.
S. Liuquan and Z. Zhang (2009). A class of transformed mean residual life models with censored survival data. Journal of the American Statistical Association 104, 803-815.
Z. Zhang (2009). Linear transformation models for interval-censored data: Prediction of survival probability and model checking. Statistical Modeling 9, 321-343.
Z. Zhang, X. Zhao and L. Sun (2010). Goodness-of-fit tests for additive mean residual life model under right censoring. Lifetime Data Analysis 16, 385-408.
L. Sun, X. Song and Z. Zhang (2012). Mean residual life models with time-dependent coefficients under right censoring. Biometrika 99, 185-197.
Z. Zhang and Y. Zhao (2013). Empirical likelihood for linear transformation models with interval-censored failure time data. Journal of Multivariate Analysis 116, 398-409.
- Z. Li, R. Rong and Z. Zhang. A new technique of transgenesis by PFGE. Sericologia 1997; 37: 429-435.
- Z. Zhang, L. Sun, X. Zhao and J. Sun. Regression analysis of interval-censored failure time data with linear transformation models. Canadian Journal of Statistics 2005; 33: 61-70.
- Z. Zhang, J. Sun and L. Sun. Statistical analysis of current status data with informative observation times. Statistics in Medicine 2005; 24: 1399-1407.
- L. Sun, Z. Zhang and J. Sun. Additive hazards regression of failure time data with covariate measurement errors. Statistica Neerlandica 2006; 60: 497-509.
- Z. Zhang, L. Sun, J. Sun and D. M. Finkelstein. Regression analysis of failure time data with informative interval censoring. Statistics in Medicine 2007; 26: 2533-2546.
- M. J. Zelefsky, Y. Yamada, Z. Fuks, Z. Zhang, M. Hunt, O. Cahlon, J. Park and A. Shippy. Long-term results of conformal radiotherapy for prostate cancer: impact of dose escalation on biochemical tumor control and distant metastases-free survival outcomes. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2008; 71: 1028-1033.
- J. Zhang, X. Yang, Z. Yin, Z. Zhang, Z. Fuks and R. Kolesnick. Downregulation of KSR1 in pancreatic cancer xenografts by antisense oligonucleotides correlates with tumor drug uptake. Cancer Biology and Therapy 2008; 7: 1490-1495.
- L. Sun and Z. Zhang. A class of transformed mean residual life models with censored survival data. Journal of the American Statistical Association 2009; 104: 803-815.
- Z. Zhang. Linear transformation models for interval-censored data: prediction of survival probability and model checking. Statistical Modeling 2009; 9: 321-343.
- B. S. Hoppe, C. H. Moskowitz, Z. Zhang, J. C. Maragulia, R. D. Rice, A. S. Reiner, P. A. Hamlin, A. D. Zelenetz and J. Yahalom. The role of FDG-PET imaging and involved field radiotherapy in relapsed or refractory diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2009; 43: 941-948.
- Rimner, M. F. Brennan, Z. Zhang, S. Singer and K. M. Alektiar. Influence of compartmental involvement on the patterns of morbidity in soft tissue sarcoma of the thigh. Cancer 2009; 115: 149-157.
- J. Moskowitz, M.-A. Perales, T. Kewalramani, J. Yahalom, H. Castro-Malaspina, Z. Zhang, J. Vanak, A. D. Zelenetz and C. H. Moskowitz. Outcomes for patients who fail high dose chemoradiotherapy and autologous stem cell rescue for relapsed and primary refractory hodgkin lymphoma. British Journal of Haematology 2009; 146: 158-163.
- J. Gerecitano, C. Portlock, C. Moskowitz, P. Hamlin, D. Straus, A. D. Zelenetz, Z. Zhang, O. Dumitrescu, D. Sarasohn, D. Lin, J. Pappanicholaou, B. M. Cortelli, E. Neylon, R. Hamelers, J. Wright and O. A. O’Connor. Phase 2 study of weekly bortezomib in mantle cell and follicular lymphoma. British Journal of Haematology 2009; 146: 652-655.
- Z. Zhang and J. Sun. Interval censoring. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2010; 19: 53-70.
- Z. Zhang and Z. Zhao. Goodness-of-fit tests for additive mean residual life model under right censoring. Lifetime Data Analysis 2010; 16:385-408.
- A. Barker, R. W. Mutter, L. Q. Shapiro, Z. Zhang, S. L.Wolden and J. Yahalom. Contrast media use in radiation oncology: A prospective, controlled educational intervention study with retrospective analysis of patient outcomes. Journal of the American College of Radiology 2010; 7: 967-974.
- Deutsch, M. J. Zelefsky, Z. Zhang, Q. Mo, M. Zaider, G. Cohen, O. Cahlon and Y. Yamada. Comparison of PSA-relapse-free survival in patients treated with ultra-high dose IMRT versus combination HDR brachytherapy and IMRT. Brachytherapy 2010; 9:313-318.
- S. M. Edwards-Bennett, L. M. Jacks, C. H. Moskowitz, E. J. Wu, Z. Zhang, A. Noy, C. S. Portlock, D. J. Straus, A. D. Zelenetz and J. Yahalom. Stanford V program for locally extensive and advanced Hodgkin lymphoma: the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center experience. Annals of Oncology 2010; 21:574-581.
- M. H. Fuchsjäger, D. Pucar, M. J. Zelefsky, Z. Zhang, Q. Mo, L. S. BenPorat, A. Shukla-Dave, L. Wang, V. E. Reuter and H. Hricak. Predicting post-external-beam radiation therapy PSA relapse of prostate cancer using pre-treatment MRI. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2010; 78:743-750.
- A. Goodman, E. A. Wiegner, K. E. Maturen, Z. Zhang, Q. Mo, Y. Yang, I. C. Gibbs, G. A. Fisher, and A. C. Koong. Dose escalation study of single fraction stereotactic body radiotherapy for liver malignancies. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2010; 78:486-493.
- M. Lovelock, Z. Zhang, A. Jackson, J. Keam, J. Bekelman, M. Bilsky, E. Lis and Y. Yamada. Correlation of local failure with measures of dose insufficiency in the high-dose single-fraction treatment of bony metastases. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2010; 77:1282-1287.
- H. Moskowitz, J. Yahalom, A. D. Zelenetz, Z. Zhang, D. Filippa, D. Teruya-Feldstein, T. Kewalramani, R. D. Rice, J. Maragulia, J. Vanak, P. Hamlin, S. Horowitz, A. Noy, O. O’Connor, C. Portlock, D. Straus and S. D. Nimer. High-dose chemo-radiotherapy for relapsed or refractory hodgkin lymphoma and the significance of pre-transplant functional imaging. British Journal of Haematology 2010; 148:890-897.
- H. D. Moulding, E. Lis, D. M. Lovelock, Z. Zhang, Y. Yamada and M. H. Bilsky. Local disease control after decompressive surgery and adjuvant high dose single fraction radiosurgery for spine metastases. Journal of Neurology - Spine 2010; 13:87-93.
- M. J. Zelefsky, J. A. Eastham, A. M. Cronin, Z. Fuks, Z. Zhang, Y. Yamada, A. Vickers and P. T. Scardino. Metastasis after radical prostatectomy or external beam radiotherapy for patients with clinically localized prostate cancer: a comparison of clinical cohorts adjusted for case mix. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2010; 28:1508-1513.
- M. J. Zelefsky, M. Worman, G. N. Cohen, X. Pei, M. Kollmeier, Y. Yamada, B. Cox, Z. Zhang, E. Bieniek, L. Dauer and M. Zaider. Real-time intraoperative computed tomography assessment of quality of permanent interstitial seed implantation for prostate cancer. Urology 2010; 76:1138-1142.
- Z. A. Alicikus, Y. Yamada, Z. Zhang, X. Pei, M. Hunt, M. Kollmeier, B. Cox and Zelefsky MJ. Ten-year outcomes of high-dose intensity-modulated radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer. Cancer 2011; 117: 1429-1437.
- S. Damast, J. Wright, M. Bilsky, M. Hsu, Z. Zhang, M. Lovelock, B. Cox, J. Zatcky and Y. Yamada. Impact of dose on local failure rates after image-guided re-irradiation of recurrent paraspinal metastases. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2011; 81: 819-826.
- S. M. Edwards-Bennett, L. M. Jacks, B. McCormick, Z. Zhang, M. Azu, A. Ho, S. Powell and Brown C. Patterns of utilization of adjuvant radiation therapy and outcomes in black women after breast conservation at a large multidisciplinary cancer center. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2011; 80: 1102-1108.
- Gupta, R. J Young, S. Karimi, S. Sood, Z. Zhang, Q. Mo, P. H. Gutin, A. I. Holodny and A. B. Lassman. Isolated diffusion restriction precedes the development of enhancing tumor in a subset of patients with glioblastoma. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2011; 32: 1301-1306.
- M. A. Kollmeier, M. S. Katz, K. Mak, Y. Yamada, D. J. Feder, Z. Zhang, X. Jia, W. Shi and M. J. Zelefsky. Improved biochemical outcomes with statin use in patients with high-risk localized prostate cancer treated with radiation therapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2011; 79: 713-718.
- Koutcher, E. Sherman, M. Fury, S. Wolden, Z. Zhang, Q. Mo, L. Stewart, K. Schupak, D. Gelblum, R. Wong, D. Kraus, J. Shah, M. Zelefsky, D. Pfister and N. Lee. Concurrent cisplatin and radiation versus cetuximab and radiation for locally advanced head-and-neck cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2011; 81: 915-922.
- R. J. Young, A. Gupta, A. D. Shah, J. J. Graber, Z. Zhang, W. Shi, A. I. Holodny and A. M. Omuro. Potential utility of conventional MRI signs in diagnosing pseudoprogression in glioblastoma. Neurology 2011; 76: 1918-1924.
- J. Zelefsky, Y. Yamada, X. Pei, M. Hunt, G. Cohen, Z. Zhang and M. Zaider. Comparison of tumor control and toxicity outcomes of high dose intensity modulated radiotherapy and brachytherapy for patients with favorable risk prostate cancer. Urology 2011; 77: 986-990.
- J. Gerecitano, C. Portlock, P. Hamlin, C. H. Moskowitz, A. Noy, D. Straus, P. Schulman, A. Iasonos, Z. Zhang, Q. Mo, E. Horanlli, C. N. Rojas, A. D. Zelenetz and O. A. O’Connor. Phase I trial of weekly and twice weekly bortezomib with rituximab, cyclophosphamide, and prednisone in relapsed or refractory non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Clinical Cancer Research 2011; 17: 2493-2501.
- J. H. Schatz, E. Oricchio, A. L. Wolfe, M. Jiang, I. Linkov, J. Maragulia, W. Shi, Z. Zhang, V. K. Rajasekhar, N. C. Pagano, J. A. Porco Jr, J. Teruya-Feldstein, N. Rosen, A. D. Zelenetz, J. Pelletier and H. G. Wendel. Targeting cap-dependent translation blocks converging survival signals by AKT and PIM kinases in lymphoma. Journal of Experimental Medicine 2011; 208: 1799-1807.
- J. Zelefsky, X. Pei, J. F. Chou, M. Schechter, M. Kollmeier, B. Cox, Y. Yamada, A. Fidaleo, D. Sperling, L. Happersett and Z. Zhang. Dose escalation for prostate cancer radiotherapy: predictors of long-term biochemical tumor control and distant metastases-free survival outcomes. European Urology 2011; 60: 1133-1139.
- L. Sun, X. Song and Z. Zhang. Mean residual life models with time-dependent coefficients under right censoring. Biometrika 2012; 99: 185-197.
- J. Setton, N. Caria, J. Romanyshyn, L. Koutcher, S. L. Wolden, M. J. Zelefsky, N. Rowan, E. J. Sherman, M. G. Fury, D. G. Pfister, R. J. Wong, J. P. Shah, D. H. Kraus, W. Shi, Z. Zhang, K. D. Schupak, D. Y. Gelblum, S. D. Rao, N. Y. Lee. Intensity-modulated radiotherapy in the treatment of oropharyngeal cancer: an update of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center experience. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2012; 82: 291-298.
- R. W. Mutter, S. Singer, Z. Zhang, M. F. Brennan and K. M. Alektiar. The enigma of myxofibrosarcoma of the extremity. Cancer 2012; 118: 518-527.
- B. H. Lok, J. Setton, N. Caria, J. Romanyshyn, S. L. Wolden, M. J. Zelefsky, J. Park, N. Rowan, E. J. Sherman, M. G. Fury, A. Ho, D. G. Pfister, R. J. Wong, J. P. Shah, D. H. Kraus, Z. Zhang, K. D. Schupak, D. Y. Gelblum, S. D. Rao and N. Y. Lee. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy in oropharyngeal carcinoma: effect of tumor volume on clinical outcomes. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 2012; 82: 1851-1857.
- E. Spratt, M. Sakae, B. H. Lok, S. Essandoh, M. Hsu, Z. Zhang, K. Schupak, J. Setton and N. Y. Lee. Time course and predictors for cancer-related fatigue in a series of oropharyngeal cancer patients treated with chemoradiation therapy. The Oncologist 2012; 17: 569-576.
- Ho, P. Cordeiro, J. Disa, B. Mehrara, J. Wright, K. J. Van Zee, C. Hudis, A. McLane, J. Chou, Z. Zhang, S. Powell and B. McCormick. Long-term outcomes in breast cancer patients undergoing immediate 2-stage expander/implant reconstruction and postmastectomy radiation. Cancer 2012; 118: 2552-2559.
- J. Zelefsky, D. M. Housman, X. Pei, Z. Alicikus, J. M. Magsanoc, L. T. Dauer, J. St Germain, Y. Yamada, M. Kollmeier, B. Cox and Z. Zhang. Incidence of secondary cancer development after high-dose intensity-modulated radiotherapy and image-guided brachytherapy for the treatment of localized prostate cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 2012; 83: 953-959.
- Gupta, A. M. Omuro, A. D. Shah, J. J. Graber, W. Shi, Z. Zhang and R. J. Young. Continuing the search for MR imaging biomarkers for MGMT promoter methylation status: conventional and perfusion MRI revisited. Neuroradiology 2012; 54: 641-643.
- J. Gerecitano, S. Gounder, J. Teruya-Feldstein, M. Arcila, S. Ogilvie, C. Gonzalez, D. Lin, J. Zheng, Z. Zhang, A. McDonald, G. Mulligan and O. A. O’Connor. Tissue microarray analysis reveals protein expression patterns and potential biomarkers of clinical benefit to bortezomib in relapsed/refractory non-Hodgkin lymphoma. British Journal of Haematology 2012; 158: 290-292.
- J. D. Goldberg, J. F. Chou, S. Horwitz, J. Teruya-Feldstein, J. N. Barker, F. Boulad, H. Castro-Malaspina, S. Giralt, A. A. Jakubowski, G. Koehne, M. R. van den Brink, J. W. Young, Z. Zhang, E. B. Papadopoulos and M. A. Perales. Long-term survival in patients with peripheral T-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Leukemia and Lymphoma 2012; 53: 1124-1129.
- M. J. Zelefsky, J. F. Chou, X. Pei, Y. Yamada, M. Kollmeier, B. Cox, Z. Zhang, M. Schechter, G. N. Cohen and M. Zaider. Predicting biochemical tumor control after brachytherapy for clinically localized prostate cancer: The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center experience. Brachytherapy 2012; 11: 245-249.
- Lok, S. Khan, R. Mutter, J. Liu, R. Fields, M. Pulitzer, W. Shi, Z. Zhang, D. Kraus, D. Pfister, K. J. Busam, I Brownell and N. Lee. Selective radiotherapy for the treatment of head and neck Merkel cell carcinoma. Cancer 2012; 118: 3937-3944.
- Ohri, P. G. Cordeiro, J. Keam, A. Ballangrud, W. Shi, Z. Zhang, C. T. Nerbun, K. M. Woch, N. F. Stein, Y. Zhou, B. McCormick, S. N. Powell and A. Y. Ho. Quantifying the impact of immediate reconstruction in postmastectomy radiation: a large, dose-volume histogram-based analysis. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 2012; 84: 153-159.
- H. J. Kim, P. J. Boland, D. S. Meredith, E. Lis, Z. Zhang, W. Shi, Y. J. Yamada and K. A. Goodman. Fractures of the sacrum after chemoradiation for rectal carcinoma: incidence, risk factors, and radiographic evaluation. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 2012; 84: 694-699.
- A. Barker, M. Chang, J. F. Chou, Z. Zhang, K. Beal, P. H. Gutin and F. M. Iwamoto. Radiotherapy and concomitant temozolomide may improve survival of elderly patients with glioblastoma. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 2012; 109: 391-397.
- M. J. Zelefsky, X. Pei, T. Teslova, D. Kuk, J. M. Magsanoc, M. Kollmeier, B. Cox and Z. Zhang. Secondary cancers after intensity-modulated radiotherapy, brachytherapy, and surgery for the treatment of prostate cancer: Incidence and cause-specific survival outcomes according to the initial treatment intervention. British Journal of Urology 2012; 110: 1696-1701.
- Z. Zhang and Y. Zhao. Empirical likelihood for linear transformation models with interval-censored failure time data. Journal of Multivariate Analysis, In Press.
- R. J. Young, A. Gupta, A. D. Shah, J. J. Graber, T. A. Chan, Z. Zhang, W. Shi, K. Beal, A. M. Omuro. MRI perfusion in determining pseudoprogression in patients with glioblastoma. Clinical Imaging 2013; 37:41-49.
- V. Hatzoglou, G. A. Ulaner, Z. Zhang, K. Beal, A. I. Holodny, R. J. Young. Comparison of the effectiveness of MRI perfusion and Fluorine-18 FDG PET-CT for differentiating radiation injury from viable brain tumor. Clinical Imaging 2012 Oct 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Laufer, J. B. Iorgulescu, T. Chapman, E. Lis, W. Shi, Z. Zhang, B. W. Cox, Y. Yamada, M. H. Bilsky. Local disease control for spinal metastases following “separation surgery” and adjuvant hypofractionated or high-dose single-fraction stereotactic radiation therapy: outcomes analysis in 186 patients. Journal of Neurosurgery. Spine, In Press.
- E. Spratt, C. Zhang, Z. S. Zumsteg, X. Pei, Z. Zhang and M. J. Zelefsky. Metformin and prostate cancer: Benefit on development of castration resistant disease and prostate cancer mortality. European Urology 2012 Dec 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- R. J. Young, V. Lee, K. K. Peck, T. Sierra, Z. Zhang, L. M. Jacks and A. I. Holodny. Diffusion tensor imaging and tractography of the corticospinal tract in the presence of enlarged Virchow-Robin spaces. Journal of Neuroimaging 2011 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gupta, A. D. Shah, Z. Zhang, C. D. Phillips and R. J. Young. Variability in the position of the retropharyngeal internal carotid artery: a potential surgical hazard. The Laryngoscope 2012 May 21. [Epub ahead of print]
- N. Gerber, L. H. Wexler, S. Singer, K. M. Alektiar, M. L. Keohan, W. Shi, Z. Zhang and S. L. Wolden. Adult rhabdomyosarcoma survival improved with treatment on multimodality protocols. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, In Press
- Z. S. Zumsteg, D. E. Spratt, X. Pei, Y. Yamada, A. Kalikstein, D. Kuk, Z. Zhang and M. J. Zelefsky. Short-term androgen-deprivation therapy improves prostate cancer-specific mortality in intermediate-risk prostate cancer patients undergoing dose-escalated external beam radiation therapy. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 2012 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- L. Q. Shapiro, K. Beal, A. Goenka, S. Karima, F. M. Iwamoto, Y. Yamada, Z. Zhang, A. B. Lassman, L. E. Abrey and P. G. Gutin. Patterns of failure following concurrent bevacizumab and hypofractionated stereotactic radiotherapy for recurrent high-grade glioma. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 2012 Jul 3. [Epub ahead of print]
Books, Book Chapters and Reviews
- Z. Zhang, J. Sun and S. Swan. Survival analysis of California women reproductive health data. Proceedings of 2003 Joint Statistical Meetings, Section on Statistics in Epidemiology 2003.
- Z. Zhang. Survival Analysis. Encyclopedia of Measurement and Statistics. Editor: Neil J. Salkind. Sage Publications 2006.
- Z. Zhang. Review of Modeling Longitudinal Data by Robert E. Weiss. Journal of the American Statistical Association 2006; 101: 1726-1727.
- Z. Zhang, Q. Mo. Biased Estimator. Encyclopedia of Research Design 2010. Editor: Neil J. Salkind. Sage Publications 2010.