Our expanding knowledge of cancer genomes has led to the development of more-effective therapeutic strategies. Tumor profiling has shown clinical benefits to improve precision medicine. Circulating tumor DNA shed from the tumor into the body fluids open up tremendous opportunities for safe, more-effective noninvasive cancer management across different cancer types.
The focus of the Tsui lab is to study the molecular profiles of cancer using circulating tumor DNA and other nucleic acids in plasma and body fluids for noninvasive management of treatment responses and guiding personalized medicine. We are particularly focusing on types of assays that have the potential for immediate clinical implementation in the next 1-2 years.
Dana Tsui, PhD
Technical Director, Diagnostic Molecular Pathology
Assistant Attending, Department of Pathology, Center of Molecular Pathology. Assistant Professor of Research in Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Research FocusMolecular geneticist Dana Tsui developed clinical test to profile circulating tumor DNA and other nucleic acids in plasma and body fluids for noninvasive molecular diagnostics.
- Cancer Research UK Cambridge Institute, University of Cambridge, UK (Mentor: Nitzan Rosenfeld), Postdoctoral
- Department of Chemical Pathology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong (Mentor: Dennis YM Lo), Doctoral
- Miller AM, Shah RH, Pentsova EI, Pourmaleki M, Briggs S, Distefano N, Zheng Y, Skakodub A, Mehta SA, Campos C, Hsieh WY, Selcuklu SD, Ling L, Meng F, Jing X, Samoila A, Bale TA, Tsui DWY, Grommes C, Viale A, Souweidane MM, Tabar V, Brennan CW, Reiner AS, Rosenblum M, Panageas KS, DeAngelis LM, Young RJ, Berger MF, Mellinghoff IK. Tracking tumour evolution in glioma through liquid biopsies of cerebrospinal fluid. Nature. 2019 Jan;565(7741):654-658. doi: 10.1038/s41586-019-0882-3. Epub 2019 Jan 23. PMID:30675060. PMCID: PMC6457907.
- Stewart CM, Kothari PD, Mouliere F, Mair R, Somnay S, Benayed R, Zehir A, Weigelt B, Dawson SJ, Arcila ME, Berger MF, Tsui DW. The value of cell-free DNA for molecular pathology. J Pathol. 2018 Apr;244(5):616-627. doi: 10.1002/path.5048. Epub 2018 Mar 12. PubMed PMID: 29380875. PMCID pending (NIHMS ID 1037646
- Cancer Research UK Research Travel Award, 2015
- IASLC World Conference on Lung Cancer Young Investigator Award, 2015
- Elected as a Junior Research Fellow of Wolfson College, University of Cambridge, UK, 2014
- European Association for Cancer Research (EACR) Non-Student Travel Award, 2014
- British Association for Cancer Research (BACR) Non-Student Travel Award , 2013
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure Scholarship Award, 2012