The bioinformatics system engineer will work with an expanding team of research, clinical and computational investigators working in cancer genomics. Our mission is to establish a fully integrated research program that coordinates basic scientific discovery, early-phase clinical trials, and drug development. As part of the center’s clinical and research investigations we are generating a wealth of genomic annotation data to inform clinical decision support and develop diagnostic and disease surveillance assays informed by molecular markers.
Working together with members in the group, the Bioinformatics Engineer will be involved in the design, development and maintenance of computational pipelines in the center. This will involve end-to-end processing that integrates existing tools as well as development of bespoke solutions for data mining, analytics and annotation.
To be successful within this role the candidate should have advanced programming skills, solid experience with parallelized computing and knowledge of good coding practices. He/She will work with computational and experimental biologists in a dynamic and exciting academic environment at the nexus of cancer biology, computer science, statistics and clinical research.
Examples of the data and informatics pipelines developed in our center include, next generation sequencing data (whole genome, whole exome and custom capture), RNA-sequencing, Chip-Sequencing, DNA methylation, Deep molecular barcoding assays using unique molecular identifiers for monitoring of minimal residual disease as well as circulating tumour DNA assays.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Masters in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related quantitative discipline. • Parallelized computing experience
- Advanced skills in Perl or Python
- Experience in Bioinformatics software development
- Implementation of Next-generation analysis toolkits (PICARD, GATK, samtools, etc.) • Java or C/C++
- Relational databases (e.g. Oracle, MySQL)
- IT process management, requirements gathering and use case testing
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions about our laboratory, and to address any informal questions or inquiries to Yesenia Werner, email@example.com.