Memorial Hospital Research Laboratories
The Erin Gillespie Lab
Welcome to the research team webpage of Dr. Erin Gillespie, Assistant Attending Radiation Oncologist specializing in breast cancer and metastatic disease, and an Attending Member of the Center for Health Policy and Outcomes. Our projects involve implementation science, quality and safety, health services, healthcare policy, and educational research.
Our focus is to improve outcomes in oncology by 1) understanding variations in patterns of care (health services), 2) understanding the role of the physician and drivers of decision making (behavioral economics), and 3) improving care delivery models to optimize access to high-quality, high-value care (implementation science).
More specifically, our projects involve:
- Improving quality in radiation treatment planning through point-of-care decision support, simulation training and feedback, artificial intelligence, and telemedicine.
- Identifying variations in patterns of care and testing novel implementation strategies to accelerate uptake of evidence-based practice.
- Developing and evaluating tools for real-world assessment of radiation quality.
- Clinical research aimed towards developing primary evidence to guide practice.
Our group created eContour which is a free user-friendly interactive web-based contouring atlas for radiation treatment planning (eContour.org). The eContour platform allows the user to view contours for a variety of example cancer cases in an interactive 3-dimensional image-based format.
Zhang Y, Onochie I, Hipp E, Washington C, Cahlon O, Gomez D, Gillespie EF. “Evaluating the Clinical Impact of Integrating a Contouring Radiation Anatomist into Routine Treatment Planning: A Quality Improvement Study.” Advances Rad Onc (in press).
Gillespie EF, Mathis N, Yang JY et al. “Gillespie EF, Mathis NJ, Vaynrub M, Santos Martin E, Kotecha R, Panoff JE, Salner AL, McIntosh AF, Gupta R, Gulati A, Yerramilli D, Xu A, Bartelstein M, Guttmann D, Yamada YJ, Lin D, Lapen K, Korenstein D, Pfister DG, Lipitz-Snyderman A, Yang JT. “Multidisciplinary Treatment of Non-Spine Bone Metastases: Results of a Modified Delphi Consensus Process.” Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2022 Jul;35:76-83. doi: 10.1016/j.ctro.2022.04.009. eCollection 2022 Jul.
Zhang Y, Cha E, Lynch K, Gennarrelli R, Royce T, Brower J, Golden D, Chimonas S, Korenstein D, Gillespie EF. “Attitudes and Access to Resources and Strategies to Improve Radiotherapy Quality Among Radiation Oncologists: A Mixed Methods Study.” J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2022 Jun 1;. doi: 10.1111/1754-9485.13423.
Lin D, Gomez DR, Zhang YH, Gennarelli R, Efstathiou JA, Barker CA, Gelblum D, Shah MK, Liberman L, Hirsch AE, Cahlon O, Gillespie EF. Radiation Oncology AcaDemic Mentorship Program (ROADMAP) for Junior Faculty: 1-Year Results of a Prospective Single Institution Initiative. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2022 May 26;. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2022.05.012.
Nahomy Ledesma Vicioso N, Lin D, Gomez DR, Kalman NS, Kotecha RR, Panoff JE, Mehta MP, Rutter CE, McIntosh A, Salner AL, Yang JT, Lee NY, Rimner A, Yamada Y, Zelefsky MJ, Ostroff JS, Diamond L, Mathis NJ, Cahlon O, Pfister DG, Zhang Z, Chino FL, Tsai J, Gillespie EF. “Implementation Strategies to Increase Clinical Trial Enrollment in a Community-Academic Partnership and Impact on Hispanic Representation: An Interrupted Time Series Analysis.” JCO Oncol Pract. 2022 May;18(5):e780-e785. doi: 10.1200/OP.22.00037.
Erin Gillespie, MD
Assistant Attending, MSK Department of Radiation Oncology; Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor, University of California San Diego; Visiting Scholar, Penn Center for Cancer Care Innovation (PC3I)
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School
- BS, Yale College
- [email protected]
- Email Address
- National Cancer Institute K08 Career Development Award (2020-2025)
- National Cancer Care Network (NCCN) Pfizer Ending Metastatic Breast Cancer for Everyone (EMBRACE) (2020-2023)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) R18, Simulation to Improve Patient Safety (2019-2024)
- Radiologic Society of North America (RSNA) Innovation in Education at the Point-of-Care (2019-2023)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Young Investigator Award (2017-2020)